Red Gracilaria Turning White

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added red Gracilaria to my fuge this week. The fuge light runs for 14 hours a day. I have noticed the algae closest to the fuge light is turning white. Should I run the fuge light for a short period of time? What other reasons could cause this?

20240216_121729.jpg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run our light for about 8 hours. Something else to consider, what is your nitrates and phosphate levels? Most microalgae consume these two and if you don't have any, they will starve...from my understanding, I could be wrong.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white tips and paler red are indicators of fast growth under intense light.

What do you want your algae refugium to do?

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white tips and paler red are indicators of fast growth under intense light.

What do you want your algae refugium to do?
I would like it to out compete all of the hair algae in my display tank. I would also like for it to help keep the ph up at night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run our light for about 8 hours. Something else to consider, what is your nitrates and phosphate levels? Most microalgae consume these two and if you don't have any, they will starve...from my understanding, I could be wrong.
Nitrates are 15 and phosphate is .1.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like it to out compete all of the hair algae in my display tank. I would also like for it to help keep the ph up at night.
Nothing will outcompete gha. I doubt that the small volume in your sump will offset pH swing much. What is your current nightly pH swings?

A healthy IndoPacific reef has normal pH swings of 7.8 - 8.2

PS: Are you wanting to reduced nutrients down from 15ppm and phosphates from .1ppm. I looked at your build thread and those corals would benefit from your listed nutrient levels.

I have sent both Gracilaria Parvispora & Gracilaria Hayi to a regional agriculture lab for analysis. The ratio of N to P in those seaweeds is 30:1

Last edited:

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will outcompete gha. I doubt that the small volume in your sump will offset pH swing much. What is your current nightly pH swings?

Agreed....plus its very slow growing, and (at least IME) prone to crash due to PH swings

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS: Are you wanting to reduced nutrients down from 15ppm and phosphates from .1ppm. I looked at your build thread and those corals would benefit from your listed nutrient levels.

I have sent both Gracilaria Parvispora & Gracilaria Hayi to a regional agriculture lab for analysis. The ratio of N to P in those seaweeds is 30:1
The build thread is very outdated and is due for an update. with a scubber, the ph swings from 7.85-8. I am struggling to get it higher. I gave cheato a try and it did great with the ph, but kept releasing small strands that I could not keep out of my return section. This caused a number of clogs and poor water flow through the sump. Do you have a suggestion for a different macro algae to helpnwith the ph that won't go asexual?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build thread is very outdated and is due for an update. with a scubber, the ph swings from 7.85-8. I am struggling to get it higher. I gave cheato a try and it did great with the ph, but kept releasing small strands that I could not keep out of my return section. This caused a number of clogs and poor water flow through the sump. Do you have a suggestion for a different macro algae to helpnwith the ph that won't go asexual?
Given the right conditions, all seaweed will go sexual:
especially when fast growing seaweed under intensive light depletes nutrients, which is what you are trying to do with your algae refugium.

If corals in your ecosystem require higher pH, I suggest you use a limewater buffer to bring your alkalinity & pH up.

PS: If you regularly prune fast growing Caulerpa, you can better accomplish your goal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back