Frag Tank Lighting

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that I bought with the intention of turning into a frag tank a few months back. It has odd dimensions so I'm hemming and hawing about what kind of lights to run over it.

The tank is 10x10x72" with an overflow chamber taking up about 6" of that length. Being so long and narrow is really throwing me. I'm thinking either LED or T5/T12 as my options, just don't think MH is appropriate nor do I want the heat.

For LED, I have an old DIY fixture that I built 10 years ago that can easily cover the length, but would be too wide for the 10". If memory serves, it is 12" wide and has 90 degree optics. I could also buy some cheapo LED fixtures online, but I'd need quite a few of them to cover that length. I would run them low so I don't have too much light spill.

For T12, I already have a fluorescent ballast and T12 ends that I used to use for my T12 actinics. It would be nice to reuse that and I see there are 72" T12 bulbs available. I was thinking I'd do one UV and one 10K.

Last option is T5. I don't have anything laying around and I'd need to buy something, but I really know very little about options here.

I'm open to suggestions and thoughts.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything really. Imo just guestimate the par you need and adjust or choose the par/lux intensity accordingly.
Id go with the thing I built personally.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I feel about it too. I'd rather use something I built. I only plan on raising zoas in the tank, so I don't need anything crazy. Think two T12's would be enough?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I feel about it too. I'd rather use something I built. I only plan on raising zoas in the tank, so I don't need anything crazy. Think two T12's would be enough?
yea. depends on how high of course.
tough choice. Stuff I built or experiment with something new.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some money left on a Foster and Smith gift card. I ordered one actinic and one aquasun T12 bulb. I'll give it a go and see how they do. Might be too much light with how low I'd want to keep them, but I could always make a reflector I suppose.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral sun should be similar to a coral plus so petty high in par.

If you want to lux it divide by 35. Prob 40 for both. Better to over est than under.
I forget if you have a par meter.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I dont. Just the Luxmeter app on my phone. I'm not sure if the ballast I have is dimmable either I need to dig that thing out.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2081.JPG
Lamps arrived yesterday. Two seven foot tall, 6"x6" boxes with one lamp each inside.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back