Frag Tank question

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a frag tank because it looks like it wont be till summer that the wife will let me order my custom tank. In the mean time I wanted to get growing some frags so I made a makeshift frag tank out of a sterilelite conatiner that is aprox. 30 gallons. I filled it up last night and the long sides have a decent bow to them-does anyone have any experience with these containers? They are the clear plastic ones. I will just make a center brace if I need to but would like to avoid it if at all possible. Let me know if pictures of the bow will help. Thanks
Matt

blkicebullys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used those to hold water in the past and they were always ok. I dont think the bow is anything to worry about. But hey there is always that chance!!

bellareef

Reef Alchemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them getting brittle over time and breaking, but no personal experience.

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that depending on the lights you had over it. IMHO Heat might cause additional weakness and cause more bowing.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not have any experience with this particular size but my good friend used 2x4's and created an exterior frame for his. If you really don't care to much about looks, it wouldn't cost much to build a frame around the bin and that would help with the bowing.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them getting brittle over time and breaking, but no personal experience.

I have had this happen, went to clean it out after using it to cook rock for a few mos and it was very brittle and broke very easily.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they leach phosphates, just so you know.

You would be better off going to a tractor supply, or similar and getting a 50 gallon stock tank, they are under 50 bucks, and are what a ton of wholesalers use, and hobbiest for sumps.

better safe than sorry. would hate to have that thing split on you, and have your coral all over the floor.

Back