Frag tank return pump

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
79
Reaction score
61
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone....So I have gotten some advice on lighting options over the last few days for the frag tank I am setting up. Today I need some help deciding on a return pump since this is going to be a stand alone system. I was thinking about the Reef Octopus Varios 2 (792 ph). I like the control ability and the included float valve shutoff. The tank is a deep blue 45 gal. It will be draining into a 20 gallon sump with an SCA 302 skimmer. I have about 3.5 feet of head, closer to 5 ft if you count one 90 degree elbow. I am planning on keeping some LPS, zoas, softies, maybe some lower light SPS eventually. With the idea of having about 5x turnover I figured I should be pushing about 300 gallons per hour (factoring in total volume of tank and sump). Given the buil in capability to control flow, and factoring in the head loss I thought this would be a good choice. What do you think...overkill?
 
Ok everyone....So I have gotten some advice on lighting options over the last few days for the frag tank I am setting up. Today I need some help deciding on a return pump since this is going to be a stand alone system. I was thinking about the Reef Octopus Varios 2 (792 ph). I like the control ability and the included float valve shutoff. The tank is a deep blue 45 gal. It will be draining into a 20 gallon sump with an SCA 302 skimmer. I have about 3.5 feet of head, closer to 5 ft if you count one 90 degree elbow. I am planning on keeping some LPS, zoas, softies, maybe some lower light SPS eventually. With the idea of having about 5x turnover I figured I should be pushing about 300 gallons per hour (factoring in total volume of tank and sump). Given the buil in capability to control flow, and factoring in the head loss I thought this would be a good choice. What do you think...overkill?
If it were not adjustable, I would say it is overkill. I think it is a fine choice since I feel it is always better to go a bit bigger with controllable pumps.
 
Brew12, thanks for the input. I was thinking overkill too but with the added control and float valve i figured it would be ok. Plus if I decide to upgrade the frag tank i would still have a viable pump (depending on tank size).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new