Frag tank? Size, cost etc thoughts?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering turning the tank in my office to a frag tank. It's a 32 biocube idea 1 is to take the tank down and put it in storage to be able to get say a 40 breeder with 40 breeder sump setup in its place. Any ideas or diy tips? All that's on that system is a pair of rainbow bubble tips and a pair of clowns with a watchman goby. Goby can go to reef if need be. Hoping to basically setup a frag to give a place for extra zoas, and maybe acans to go when I run out of room LOL, as well as a away to trade with others. Wife loves zoas and acans...

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering turning the tank in my office to a frag tank. It's a 32 biocube idea 1 is to take the tank down and put it in storage to be able to get say a 40 breeder with 40 breeder sump setup in its place. Any ideas or diy tips? All that's on that system is a pair of rainbow bubble tips and a pair of clowns with a watchman goby. Goby can go to reef if need be. Hoping to basically setup a frag to give a place for extra zoas, and maybe acans to go when I run out of room LOL, as well as a away to trade with others. Wife loves zoas and acans...
I’d recommend a 50 gal low boy. 4x2 feet and it’s relatively inexpensive IMO. Then a sump on the bottom say a breeder or something. One idea is to sell the bio cube and use that to help fund this. DIY stand, plumbing. Big costs probably lights heaters skimmer. Depending on your lighting choices I’d say it’s possible in under $1k.

$300 lights
$100 plumbing (return pump)
$200 tank+overflow
$150 skimmer
$100 heaters
$50 DIY stand

Give or take lol probably what it cost me to setup mine but I had all my equipment from a previous build and just transferred it. Only cost was the physical PVC plumbing and the DIY stand.
A6AE59EC-2A69-4E07-A6E5-4CC53764CD7C.jpeg

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend a 50 gal low boy. 4x2 feet and it’s relatively inexpensive IMO. Then a sump on the bottom say a breeder or something. One idea is to sell the bio cube and use that to help fund this. DIY stand, plumbing. Big costs probably lights heaters skimmer. Depending on your lighting choices I’d say it’s possible in under $1k.

$300 lights
$200 tank+overflow
$150 skimmer
$100 heaters
$50 DIY stand

Give or take lol probably what it cost me to setup mine but I had all my equipment from a previous build and just transferred it. Only cost was the physical PVC plumbing and the DIY stand.
I have a mag 12 downstairs that I could use of that's not too much flow... I was thinking 40 breeder as I have a potential stand that would work.

Lights I was torn in. I was looking at reef breeders , but I have Hydras on my reef that I love. Might even consider going back to black boxes for such a tank. I have titanium heaters on hand, just need a heater controller.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$300 lights
$200 tank+overflow
$150 skimmer
$100 heaters
$50 DIY stand

A6AE59EC-2A69-4E07-A6E5-4CC53764CD7C.jpeg
Did you drill it or what did you go with for overflow??

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag 12 downstairs that I could use of that's not too much flow... I was thinking 40 breeder as I have a potential stand that would work.

Lights I was torn in. I was looking at reef breeders , but I have Hydras on my reef that I love. Might even consider going back to black boxes for such a tank. I have titanium heaters on hand, just need a heater controller.
Yeah I also use hydras and they’re my favorite. Not overpriced IMO. Yeah if you have a stand already that might be best to go ahead and use that.
Did you drill it or what did you go with for overflow??
Yeah I drilled mine on the back, I got the new eshopps prodigy overflow. It’s really sleek and nice but the overflow box cover on the back side of the tank is warped and I have painters tape to keep it closed and flat to eliminate noise.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I also use hydras and they’re my favorite. Not overpriced IMO. Yeah if you have a stand already that might be best to go ahead and use that.

Yeah I drilled mine on the back, I got the new eshopps prodigy overflow. It’s really sleek and nice but the overflow box cover on the back side of the tank is warped and I have painters tape to keep it closed and flat to eliminate noise.
Interesting! Will have to give it a look.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd definitely look into black box lights...or lower end lights. I believe I have a ReefBreeders 16" basic light on a 20g long coral quarantine tank and it grows coral better than the RapidLED lights I have on my main tank! I think that light cost me around $120. I have 2 channels that I run separately on their own timers to turn on/off. I don't think ReefBreeders makes this basic light anymore, though.

James grows nice corals at 7seas on those OceanRevive lights as well.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely look into black box lights...or lower end lights. I believe I have a ReefBreeders 16" basic light on a 20g long coral quarantine tank and it grows coral better than the RapidLED lights I have on my main tank! I think that light cost me around $120. I have 2 channels that I run separately on their own timers to turn on/off. I don't think ReefBreeders makes this basic light anymore, though.

James grows nice corals at 7seas on those OceanRevive lights as well.
Yea thdts what I was thinking too. Used to run sb reef black boxes amd for loved em.

LotsaFishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40breeder is actually a really nice size.

And ditto the "China box" leds as far as value of light output to price.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40breeder is actually a really nice size.

And ditto the "China box" leds as far as value of light output to price.
I thought so. The question now is if we will do it, or just hold off. We travel a fair bit. Just tore down our small planted tank last night. The biocube may be next. The goal is to further automate my big tank so i can be gone with less issues etc. So we may decide to just keep the 1 system. If i ever add a second, i really like the idea of a frag tank!

LotsaFishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so. The question now is if we will do it, or just hold off. We travel a fair bit. Just tore down our small planted tank last night. The biocube may be next. The goal is to further automate my big tank so i can be gone with less issues etc. So we may decide to just keep the 1 system. If i ever add a second, i really like the idea of a frag tank!
Battery powered fish feeder

ATO for top-off water, add some sort of PH buffer or Kalswasser for PH / Alk / Calcium control

Simple timer for lights.

Of course, plenty of other dosers etc you can get if you have persnickety high end corals. But this is most likely all you need, good to go for a ~week+, depending on the size of your ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery powered fish feeder

ATO for top-off water, add some sort of PH buffer or Kalswasser for PH / Alk / Calcium control

Simple timer for lights.

Of course, plenty of other dosers etc you can get if you have persnickety high end corals. But this is most likely all you need, good to go for a ~week+, depending on the size of your ATO reservoir.
Thqta my 72. It goes a week on ato. Working on pellet training. And I've got apex to monitor a.ton. I love it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back