Frag tank. Tied into system or separate?

tank o tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what everyone thinks if the frag tank should be tied into the display and sump setup or if it should be its own separate system. I see the benefit of it being tied into the system is water volume and all in one system. Only downside I see is that it's an all in one system and if it goes downhill everyting goes downhill. Figure equipment is almost the same for either with exception of a second skimmer. Thinking if separate the water change water can be used from Dr water change to change frag tanks water. Would this go against the whole arguments for separating them?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I weighed the pros and cons and concluded connected was better for me than separated. I do 'isolate' my frag tank from the rest of the system with a UV though.

OP
OP
tank o tang

tank o tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I weighed the pros and cons and concluded connected was better for me than separated. I do 'isolate' my frag tank from the rest of the system with a UV though.

Curious what you mean by isolating the frag tank with uv if it's connected to the full system. Also if these are frags from your system, then why?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank is where newly acquired corals go initially, as well as cuttings from the display. Drain from frag tank passes through a UV, greatly reducing the chances of cross contamination.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back