Frag tank Upgrade Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter kashman100
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kashman100

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2016
Messages
589
Reaction score
330
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon frag tank with hob skimmer, hob filter and some live rock. Lps, softies and zoas. I'm switching to larger frag tank with sump. Can I move everthing to the new tank and keep running the hob filter for a while. Basically keep everthing the same just add sump and more water without having issues? I bought more frags than I should have on cyber Monday sale and need more room. Thanks
 
Yes, you can run the HOB filter on the new tank to ensure a minimal cycle. Also make sure to move all of the live rock over as well.
 
Ok cool. Would adding a decent size piece of live rock from my display tank be helpful?
 
It's about 45 gallons with sump. Also how much of the existing water should i transfer?
 
You can transfer all the water if you want, then add the extra 10 gallons as newly mixed water. I think you had the correct idea in the first place, this is simply taking your current tank contents and moving them to a new tank. So, if you literally move everything to the new tank there shouldn't be any issues. You can move stuff temporarily into a plastic tub while you swap out tanks, but it seems pretty straightforward to me. No need to add more live rock or dry rock unless you increase bio-load by adding more fish or coral.
 
I would be cautious of doing a quick switch.
I just upgraded from a 25 to a 40 and had a few zoas that died. Still trying to figure out why. The current theory is algae bloom or some fungus that they were susceptible to because it was a "new" tank.
Good luck
 
Ok. I'm actually planned on moving the 1 fish I have in there to another tank. Then adding another fish after quarantine
 
I had one flasher wrasse that I moved over.
I used 20 gallons old water, 20 new.
moved all rock over too and added about 5# rubble too.
We are thinking its because they were "fresh" frags...cut within the past 3 weeks. other than that-things are great. and the initial diatom bloom is still happening but thats expected.
 
I normally wouldn't rush it but I went overboard on the WWC cyber Monday sale. I scored some sweet stuff though
 
I normally wouldn't rush it but I went overboard on the WWC cyber Monday sale. I scored some sweet stuff though
Same here haha I had a small rack with 30 frags in it....it was time lol grats on the new setup :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new