Frag tank

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to set up my first frag tank after more than 20 years of reefing. The tank has been ordered and I've started ordering a few other parts. Tank size will be 900x600x350mm (roughly 36x24x14"). Not too much to add at this point but I'll update as things start to progress.

Frag tank.jpg

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to set up my first frag tank after more than 20 years of reefing. The tank has been ordered and I've started ordering a few other parts. Tank size will be 900x600x350mm (roughly 36x24x14"). Not too much to add at this point but I'll update as things start to progress.

Frag tank.jpg
Why 14" tall? Most frag tanks are in the range of 6 to 8

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been contemplating how to create flow in the tank. I'm thinking it might be good to integrate the PVC I was going to use to hold the racks into the flow equation. I was thinking something like this:

Frag rack.JPG

Obviously I'd need to work an input into this somewhere but the idea would be to use a single pump to push water out from all corners. There's a reasonable chance that flow would be higher closer to the pump but I'm not sure the difference would be huge. I'll still probably add a gyre or some other flow, but this could keep decent movement across the whole tank. I welcome any feedback as to whether this would or would not work, or if anyone has tried something similar.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank dude! Did you build that yourself? Great job if so I really like this setup a lot.

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230121_180057.jpg

The tank and sump arrived just before Christmas. I picked the cabinet up today and made some modifications to fit the sump in (cabinet is a generic 2 door, centre support one). Still some work to be done, I've started the plumbing, hoping to have water in by next weekend.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back