fragging an acan

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a dremel with a diamond wheel and just hack away. With acans you don't have to be too particular about getting entire polyps. Half and quarter polyps will quickly grow into full polyps, so a frag with 2 full polyps and 3 slices of other polyps will quickly become 5 full polyps IME.

Garrett.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As gastone said they aren't real particluar - I have used a dremel as well. Also I have used a wet tile saw to get through thicker or tougher pieces. Once I am done fragging I put them in a bowl of tank water for 15 minutes or so to let them slime then I swish them around in another bowl of tank water before putting them back into the main tank. Sometimes I cut through the flesh with the power tool and other times I use a razor blade to get the flesh. Sometimes I worry the heat from the power tool blade might burn the flesh.
I have done it both ways and cannot tell which one is better, just depends on my mood I guess.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inland Wet Band Saw, with a diamond blade....you can get them on ebay for $180 and it comes with 2 blades...ive cut literaly thousands of polyps with one, and only lost maybe 2-3 polyps, and the best part, it no healing time because you can go right in between the polyps.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what junior said, inland wet band saw BEST thing to get for acans
easily cuts through thick pieces and through the rock their attached too

OP
OP
fade2black

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep that in mind. Once my collection grows some more and fragging becomes more often I'll look into one. For now, the $15 dremel diamond wheel will work. :D

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there,
Also, I just found that local hardware/online hobby shops sell the diamond wheel comparable to Dremel 545. I'm picking one up tomorrow:
$5.49 for wheel and $2.99 for mandrel.

:)
Works just as well I'm told by folks that helped me save that extra $6 from home depot.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back