fragging elegans

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curios how big an elegans should be to frag it. And how you do it.anyone with opinions or experience?
20151001_123230.jpg
20150930_144613.jpg

20150930_144613.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never heard of anyone fragging an elegance. I'm not sure it can be done...

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I bought this one from a local reefer, one side was cut flat. Flesh and all. Looked like he took a bandsaw to it. But I dont know. it grew In awsome and has easily doubled In size. I don't want to frag it just yet. But it is takin g over a third of my tank. And it has the worst sting of anything I have. I know!;-)

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say hello to the Tyree Elegance Coral.

auctioned_elegancecoral_seed.jpg

http://www.reeffarmers.com/auctionedelegancecoral.htm

One of the hardiest elegance corals in this hobby. Known to survive extensive fragging with the bandsaw.

My frag came from a colony that was cut up into like 10 separate frags.

I managed to frag my frag in half with the bandsaw. Both frags are alive and thriving.

We actually have a couple of these frags hanging around the SF bay area, California. I have one in a Dont-Break-The-Chain coral back up system for my club to promote further propagation of this coral.

You can try fragging those wild elegance corals from Indo and Aussie. Good luck to you. They're known to have a low survival rate in the aquarium to begin with.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say hello to the Tyree Elegance Coral.

auctioned_elegancecoral_seed.jpg

http://www.reeffarmers.com/auctionedelegancecoral.htm

One of the hardiest elegance corals in this hobby. Known to survive extensive fragging with the bandsaw.

My frag came from a colony that was cut up into like 10 separate frags.

I managed to frag my frag in half with the bandsaw. Both frags are alive and thriving.

We actually have a couple of these frags hanging around the SF bay area, California. I have one in a Dont-Break-The-Chain coral back up system for my club to promote further propagation of this coral.

You can try fragging those wild elegance corals from Indo and Aussie. Good luck to you. They're known to have a low survival rate in the aquarium to begin with.
Thx :) I like the pink tips on that one. Makes look pretty different than my purple.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a more passive approach you can flip the coral over and crack the base with a chisel but not all the way through to the tissue. With the skeleton cracked the tissue will split naturally if you spread the skeleton apart a little. Kind of what would happen in the wild if a rock fell on it. Or Some people use a frag band saw to cut it. Even then with this coral you never know so it is a risky thing to try.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I learned something new today. :) Very good info being shared here! Now I have something new to try...

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. :) I'm so glad I found reef2reef. Now I just need more local reefers. My other forum is diving. The creater is bailing. :-(

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fishmommy. You and zach are all I have. Lol good to see you on here. You mean if I frag the elegans? I will be shortly. But not just yet

Zoaddicted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wiz
Its definitely hard work keeping a local reef club and its forum alive. I know some of my club members bailed on our forum and hang out more on here.

People like gratification when they post stuff. I stop posting if nobody replies or acknowledges my Threads. In our local forum of 150 people probably only 30% of our members post.

The rest like to LURK.

When they post here, there are hundreds of people that lurk but there are still a lot of people that will post. Thats where the gratification comes in and keeps people posting.

What happens to our forum when everyone becomes a lurker. No new content=dead forum.

But uhh yeah sorry about the rant its just been on my mind. Im seeing the same thing happening to our neighboring reef club forums.

fishmommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fishmommy. You and zach are all I have. Lol good to see you on here. You mean if I frag the elegans? I will be shortly. But not just yet
If you frag or sell it whole.... I have room!

You could try the Boston Reefers forum as well, for localish peeps. This forum is great tho.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely work keeping a local reef club alive. I know some of my club members bailed on our forum and hang out more on here.

People like gratification when they post stuff. I stop posting if nobody replies or acknowledges my post. In a local forum of 150 people probably only 30% of our members post.

The rest like to LURK.

When they post here, there are hundreds of people that lurk but theres are still a lot of people that will post. Thatd where the gratification comes in and keeps people posting.

What happens to a forum when everyone becomes a lurker. No new content=dead forum.
Yeah really stinks though. We had a great core group for a while. The last
year It has dwindled to 3-5 people. We are tryin so hard to keep it. But I fear the moderator leaving will be the end.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried boston. Joined a week ago. But I still dont have priveledge to post. Idk what's up

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try the Cherry Corals forum. They have a elegance they sell that they say it is very hardy and easy to frag. I've never seen them post on how they frag it.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try the Cherry Corals forum. They have a elegance they sell that they say it is very hardy and easy to frag. I've never seen them post on how they frag it.
This elegans grows like a weed. And Is hardy. I think when I move and have more room I will try the method of cutting most of the bone and letting the flesh seperate naturally. Hope it goes well. :)

Reefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a local in our club that has kept an indo pacific elegance since the 90's and over the past year or so he has begun to regularly frag it because it was getting gigantic but just by snapping pieces off. No saws, just fingers and the occasional Leatherman.

Planning to pick up a piece of it myself here very soon. I wanted to give my tank a year to mature before I put something like that in there. There's at least a half dozen healthy frags of this floating around the club, I don't believe anyone has lost a frag.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! A 20+ year old tanked coral. Seems like something would have went wrong in two decades. Lol must be sweet. Hope im so lucky :-D
We have a local in our club that has kept an indo pacific elegance since the 90's and over the past year or so he has begun to regularly frag it because it was getting gigantic but just by snapping pieces off. No saws, just fingers and the occasional Leatherman.

Planning to pick up a piece of it myself here very soon. I wanted to give my tank a year to mature before I put something like that in there. There's at least a half dozen healthy frags of this floating around the club, I don't believe anyone has lost a frag.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back