fragging micro's

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing numerous frags of my micro's there's gota be a better way lol.I email the guy a captive reef and like others ive emailed ethier dont reply or say they wont tell there secret for what reason they wont say.Anyways i use dremel and dykes but you cant get a accrute cut and i know at captive reef can cut single ployps without damaging others so anyone know what tool he's using because he wont tell me lol.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea pretty crappy deal i can see keeping your stock source a secret and maybe a way to get better growth but fragging id think should be shared gess there afraid if this secret got out more people will be fragging there stuff because of the lack of damage to there colony's.

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of damge? HA!! Ive used a 1' crow bar and a hammer before. Think of it this way, every poly cut in half will heal into 2 new polyps. Other wise if you are all mamsy-pansy you can use a tilesaw or a razorblade and a hammer.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not about being mamsy -pansy just trying to get a more accrute way of cutting these guys but ill try your other ideas.

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the best luck with the razor and hammer, that way you can line the razor up with the edge of the polyps

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use wire cutters sometimes-they work really well. As long as the tenticles come out to feed who cares if the polyp is in 3 parts-all my micros are probobly the hardiest coral I have.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tile saw works great. I use a dremmel too, But you dont want to heat up the coral too much so i dip it repeatedly while cutting the backside. Then cut the flesh with a razor.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great post jen thanks for posting that ive ben thinking of going by harbor frieght to check bandsaws out, but great info

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our reefclub recently did a fragging workshop and incognito sofa love showed up to help us cut up our corals. Great guys and good music. They used a tile saw and just tore up some micro and acan colonies. I have a piece in my tank right now that was cut up by them. I think it is about 3/4" wide and 1.5" long. Doing great despite the harsh cutting.

Here is a link to the Incognito Sofa Love MACNA visit, and they do have a myspace account!

http://www.macnaxviii.com/speakers/view_speaker.php?sp_id=36

One last thing, you gotta love the Goniopra music video:
http://www.myspace.com/isl

Last edited:

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I score the bottom of the frag with a dremel...cut inbetween the polyps with a razor, and then pull it apart...of course if I had a band saw!!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 78 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back