Fragging Zoas - New or Old polyps?

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a GMK polyp a few months back.. I have had new growths on it (Yay)
Question is, which polyps are best to frag? Should I frag the newer younger polyps, or start go from the oldest?
I'm confident in my fragging abilities so survivability isnt a major concern, what I'd like is to encourage continued growth for the main colony

Thanks!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is, which polyps are best to frag? Should I frag the newer younger polyps, or start go from the oldest?
I'm confident in my fragging abilities so survivability isnt a major concern, what I'd like is to encourage continued growth for the main colony

Thanks!
I'm no expert so this is more a question.

Doesn't a say 20 head colony of zoas grow faster and more heads than 20 x 1 head ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well before I wrote above I thought was the case but then was thinking umm and since you reply I been looking on net for a video I once watched and at 8 minutes mark,a zoa grower/ seller says cutting a zoa will illicit a growing response so if have 2 polyps cut/ frag it so got 2x1 polyp.

Reading other threads on r2r and other sites and sone say fragging it to 1 polyp is better faster growth but some others say colony grow faster so idk lol but maybe @zoa what. Or @vetteguy53081 or @Mibu may know the answer and to your original question also but from Reading other threads and reading healthiest polyps grow new heads fastest I would guess whichever looks healthiest

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks!
The older consider the mother polyps are most stable. Go for the new which are now in essence tank raised and thrive the best and as for count- 2-3 polyps is industry average.
At most frag shows, you will geberally see 2-4 polyps on a frag.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back