Freakin hair algae

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of my frag systems (two tanks connected makes it a system, right:D?), I hvae a massive growth of hair algae. Until I added a mystery wrasse, I didn't feed that tank anything. It was a spill over for my fav corals and some frags, and nothing really needed to be fed. I get massive amounts of hair growth, though. It's really week hair that you can usualyl blow off with a baster, but it keeps coming back. I've been working on keeping the detritus completely out of the system, but still have the growth. I'm running an ASM G3 on a 40B (with holes drilled all in the back like swiss cheese, so it only holds about 25 gallons of water at drain level) and a 50 gallon livestock tub that holds about 40 gallons of waer volume. The ASM constantly pulls come nasty skimmate. Where are these nutrients coming from? I've only got a few pieces of LR in the sump (but am not lighting it right now-20L sump). The rest is acan frags and zoa frags. What are your thoughts on where these nutrients are coming from? I've been struggling with Ca/Alk/Mg, but have had that straightened out over the last several weeks. It's probably still hitting a state of equilibrium on the balance, though.

What options do UI have for fighting the algae. With nothing going into the system (or very little now with the mystery, but he'll soon be joining my SPS tank), I'm at a loss. Even with bi weekly 35 gallon water changes, I'm a few inches of growth very two weeks all over. I checked my RO/DI and it is running a little high (8ppm TDS), so I'll be changing filters soon. Do things like Probidio help with algae issues? I thnik that's what I've heard, and one of the LFS' I've been visiting since I start back in the mid 90's sells Probidio (and he won't sell anything he has an issue with-he's one of the people I respect most in the hobby), and he says his customers are swearing by it. Is this something worth considering, or have you guys and gals seen it as another snake oil? I don't like adding anything to the system in terms of chemicals, but if this has much more benefit than known detriment, I'll give it a shot.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running (6) T5's over the 50 livestock, but they are about 24" off the water. that can't hurt though. I just switched to 14K Coralvues (175W) over the 40B, which was a huge drop in intensity over the 2-3 year old 14K Ushio's (ballast won't run new Ushio's), so I'm afraid to drop the photo cycle on that part of the system. In comparison, I can barely see into the 40B since th ebulbs are so dull. The color is nice and blue (bluer than any bulb I've ever had), but I won't buy Coralvue again.

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, the hair algae was a problem before the mystery wrasse went in...
I would buy a UV sterilizer , first scrub all hair algea off the rocks , egg crate , ect ect , just like your starting new . Hook op a hang on back UV for the frag tank only and then instead of the wrasse , keep a single tank in there . I would recomend a Kole tang or Convict . There both (more often than not) very agressive on hair algea when it's short and first starting to grow & there price is good . JMO

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually not even growing on my egg crate (oddly-I have had issues with the egg crate before, but not in this one for some reason...), just the frags -a number of acan frags. I have been kicking around the idea of a UV sterilizer, so I guess I need to pull the trigger. I bought a whole box of egg crate, so I can swap it out, too. I need to come up with some sort of carriage system so I can more easily lift the egg crate out with frags on it for siphoning detritus, anyway. I'm baffled as to where the nutirents are coming from. This wasn't supposed to be set up for as long as it has, but I guess I should think of some sort of algae eating fishes, too. This was originally a QT system that got upgraded to a holding system (much to the dismay of the wife:)).

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back