Freckled Angler

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the freckled angler that was recently on DD, and I have not been able to get it to eat yet. I t wont take crayfish, just walks away uninterested. Anybody else keep this species, and if so what did you start their diet with?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the freckled specifically, try live ghost shrimp or appropriate sized mollies. Like any angler it's best to feed them a few smaller items than a really large one, and you will need to provide live prey. Ghosties and mollies are the best food, but in a pinch guppies aren't bad. the problem with guppies are they can float, while mollies will acclimate and hang out until he eats them. It's really important to get him eating, so don't waste time, they can go to a point of no return. If you can't get ghosties or mollies, these are things I've fed in a pinch; peppermint shrimp but an expensive meal, a fancy guppy appropriately sized, a platy. I really don't like to, rosies would be your last resort. I shy away from salt water fish mainly because of risk of disease, and the price of course.

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the freckled specifically, try live ghost shrimp or appropriate sized mollies. Like any angler it's best to feed them a few smaller items than a really large one, and you will need to provide live prey. Ghosties and mollies are the best food, but in a pinch guppies aren't bad. the problem with guppies are they can float, while mollies will acclimate and hang out until he eats them. It's really important to get him eating, so don't waste time, they can go to a point of no return. If you can't get ghosties or mollies, these are things I've fed in a pinch; peppermint shrimp but an expensive meal, a fancy guppy appropriately sized, a platy. I really don't like to, rosies would be your last resort. I shy away from salt water fish mainly because of risk of disease, and the price of course.
Ok, I was planning on trying ghost shrimp. My previous angler was started on ghost shrimp so I will try those.

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds stupid but he should immediately chase down ghost shrimp off the bat; get home in quarantine until he can show interest in eating.... then get some garlic and silversides; my frog fish back in the day would eat the silversides when forced in their mouth eventually; after a few weeks they just keep sucking them down and flatten up nicely

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to hand feed him ghost shrimp, should I just be dumpung them in? He still hasn't eaten. Didn't have this problem with the last one

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just drop a few in and let him hunt them down. To help out more timid eaters: I'd turn off the flow and herd a ghostie towards him with a rigid airline tube.

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to hand feed him ghost shrimp, should I just be dumpung them in? He still hasn't eaten. Didn't have this problem with the last one

Sounds stupid but those garlic food enticers worked. I has similar feeding issues with leaf fish in the past. The garlic even on live stuff helps drive the urge to munch... If all else fails take a feeding sick and force some food on the mouth; you'd be surprised how barbaric it sounds but how effective it can be with newly capture specimens that prefer live food.

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will try both. I have been holding the food up to his mouth, but seems to be scared of my hand. Thanks.

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, he finnaly ate. Took ten minutes of coaxing to show him where the shrimp was, but once he found it, he ate.
f60d7ca1ffaf77c09b880fa734394de5.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, he finnaly ate. Took ten minutes of coaxing to show him where the shrimp was, but once he found it, he ate.

Great!! Let him eat enough to give him a nice bulge in his belly, then don't feed again for at least 3-4 days. I'm finding once a week to 10 days to be a better feeding schedule. In the wild they gorge and fast, so trying to duplicate that is your best bet. Over feeding will prove just as deadly as not eating. Over feeding may take time to cause a problem, the gases will slowly build inside their guts, which eventually leads to a premature death.

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, going to let him finish off the ghost shrimp with his next feeding. And then going to try to apply the same feeding method but with crayfish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, going to let him finish off the ghost shrimp with his next feeding. And then going to try to apply the same feeding method but with crayfish.

Highly unlikely he will eat the crayfish. They usually will only eat soft shell inverts, like shrimp.

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly unlikely he will eat the crayfish. They usually will only eat soft shell inverts, like shrimp.

Agree with all of what they said ^

Overfeading can lead to liver disease and a bunch more issues; I would feed silversides that where gut loaded with pellets eventually if you want to have long term success.

Frog fish, leaf fish, lion fish and other more opportunistic eaters can be extremely difficult at first to coax into eating frozen.

But eventually they literally act like small puppies begging for food; I would let me fish tell me when it was time to feed; I had a few for several years until I decided to sell them. Went a different route from the predator tanks I used to love....

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks super derpy! That’s what I love about these guys. Most people are like “what is it a rock” I used to respond “no look into It’s eyes, there’s something seriously predatorial going on up there”

Good luck on the long term! Hope he gets as big as mine did; I had one bigger than a baseball!

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think the max sixe on this species is five inches.
He looks super derpy! That’s what I love about these guys. Most people are like “what is it a rock” I used to respond “no look into It’s eyes, there’s something seriously predatorial going on up there”

Good luck on the long term! Hope he gets as big as mine did; I had one bigger than a baseball!

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I had my pictus taking small crayfish. These were not even an inch yet, was going to try to get him eating them. If not I will continue with ghost shrimp.

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try training him onto prepared food, but from what i have seen frogs tend to refuse frozen at all costs, unlike scorpions who tend to take prepared eventually.
Agree with all of what they said ^

Overfeading can lead to liver disease and a bunch more issues; I would feed silversides that where gut loaded with pellets eventually if you want to have long term success.

Frog fish, leaf fish, lion fish and other more opportunistic eaters can be extremely difficult at first to coax into eating frozen.

But eventually they literally act like small puppies begging for food; I would let me fish tell me when it was time to feed; I had a few for several years until I decided to sell them. Went a different route from the predator tanks I used to love....

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try training him onto prepared food, but from what i have seen frogs tend to refuse frozen at all costs, unlike scorpions who tend to take prepared eventually.

I have found feeding anglers a dead only diet ends in negative results. They tend to rather quickly become even more sedentary than usual, eventually refusing to eat at all in a relatively short time, and that's all folks. This may be partly because of some nutrients in live food that they need, as well as the enrichment of their lives in captivity, by giving them something to hunt.

OP
OP
Shrimpinator123

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that, and that was partially my reasoninf with kepping him on live food.
I have found feeding anglers a dead only diet ends in negative results. They tend to rather quickly become even more sedentary than usual, eventually refusing to eat at all in a relatively short time, and that's all folks. This may be partly because of some nutrients in live food that they need, as well as the enrichment of their lives in captivity, by giving them something to hunt.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back