Freckled Angler

PurpleHabanero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the freckled specifically, try live ghost shrimp or appropriate sized mollies. Like any angler it's best to feed them a few smaller items than a really large one, and you will need to provide live prey. Ghosties and mollies are the best food, but in a pinch guppies aren't bad. the problem with guppies are they can float, while mollies will acclimate and hang out until he eats them. It's really important to get him eating, so don't waste time, they can go to a point of no return. If you can't get ghosties or mollies, these are things I've fed in a pinch; peppermint shrimp but an expensive meal, a fancy guppy appropriately sized, a platy. I really don't like to, rosies would be your last resort. I shy away from salt water fish mainly because of risk of disease, and the price of course.
Hi Lion King!

I also just purchased a Freckled Angler from DD. Is it better to feed freshwater or saltwater ghost shrimp? Also, do you think he will try to eat my Yellowspotted Scorpionfish? My Scorpionfish usually stays hidden in the rocks so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat anything up to their own size. It may happen today or a year from now, but if they can get it down, when the opportunity arises they will. Eventually the freckled will outgrow the size of the yellowspot, so it is a high risk.

Ghost shrimp, whichever you have available. The ones most lfs keep in fressh water are usually a variety that also live in brackish and salt. Its always best to keep and feed themself before feeding to your preds, I keep mine in mostly fresh water with a slight sg of 1.009 for the gumpies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back