Free chlorination event, what does this mean for me

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Chlorination Event

so I noticed a couple days ago my water in my house has a weird smell. Decided to check out the city website to see if anything is up and bam Free chlorination event.

now what does this mean for me? Can I still make RODI water?? RODI I own

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it comes out as 0 TDS you're good.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the article it appears that they are blasting the water with heavy amount of chlorine to dissolve the biofilm that accumulates on the pipe walls.... all the pipes that lead to ones house

Disgusting....

Even though its non toxic, I was expect a major jump in TDS elements in the water fir a week.

Y U K E

All the more reason I have a whole house filter that filters out 10micron and then go thru my whole house water softener. I change the filter every 90 days and I see sand, rocks, mud and dirt most of the time. Crap that would have make it to my lips as drinking water without the filter.

By the time my water reaches my lips or my RODI, its been treated two separate ways. 10micron and softened by salt (which strips out a bunch of containment.

Its HILARIOUS that this Water Company is promoting its FREE FREE FREE....

.....yeah, no additional cost to you for flooding the junk/crap out of the pipes they own and into peoples drinking glasses

"Don't mind the pulpy water for a week. ITS FREE!" ***(but don't sue us when you get Cancer in 20 years)

DISGUSTING!!!!!

My local water company at least has decency to open all the fire hydrants for 24 hrs to flood out containment so its less likely to reach a person's lips.

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes it past the carbon blocks it can destroy your ro membrane.

See if your local pool supply store has something like some lamotte free and total chlorine test strips. You want to test the water coming out of the carbon blocks for total chlorine.

Free chlorine means it's not bound to anything,if total chlorine reads higher than free chlorine, it means its bound to something, its likely to be chloramine

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just buy like 15G from my LFS and hold off till all this is over?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably absolutely fine. Chlorine is something you want to periodically check for after your carbon block anyway. again no need to panic.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably absolutely fine. Chlorine is something you want to periodically check for after your carbon block anyway. again no need to panic.
So proceed to make RODI, then replace the carbon block at the end of the month?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change the block first depending on how old it is
+1
if the carbon block is pretty new less than 4months your probably ok if it over that then I'd change the carbon block first just to be safe. If you can get some chlorine test strips you will know if the carbon block is working.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
if the carbon block is pretty new less than 4months your probably ok if it over that then I'd change the carbon block first just to be safe. If you can get some chlorine test strips you will know if the carbon block is working.

It’s a new block maybe 2 months if that

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be absolutely fine then. I'd still order the chlorine test kit to check for chlorine coming out of the carbon block and replace it only when you start to get a reading. Or in about a year just to be safe.
Out of my tap I have never got a reading of any chlorine. So change it after a year even though I may not need to.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be absolutely fine then. I'd still order the chlorine test kit to check for chlorine coming out of the carbon block and replace it only when you start to get a reading. Or in about a year just to be safe.
Out of my tap I have never got a reading of any chlorine. So change it after a year even though I may not need to.
I wish we treated city water with ozone like France has been doing for 25 years.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might a temporary switch to chlorine to reduce nitrifiers living in the pipes (usually in biofilm). Chloramine isn't very effective against nitrifiers and is actually a food source for them.

Free chlorine is more effective at inactivating ammonia-oxidizing bacteria colonies than chloramines (Wolfe et al. 1990). As a result, breakpoint chlorination is also used by utilities to treat nitrifying bacteria. According to Schrempp et al. (1994), mechanically cleaning pipelines; draining and cleaning reservoirs; and dead-end, unidirectional and continuous flushing; were not sufficient to control nitrification at one mid-western utility. When these strategies were replaced with breakpoint chlorination, nitrification was controlled and target residuals could be maintained. Some systems using breakpoint chlorination have reported an initial increase in HPC bacteria and total coliform levels immediately following treatment that is probably attributable to biofilm sloughing (Odell et al. 1996, Wilczak et al. 1996).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back