Tap Water Test [For Reef Tanks]

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can someone explain this to me? I was at my LFS today as I am going to be upgrading tanks and was wondering if I can go about purchasing salt water/ rodi water from them and they recommended me just to use tap water and add dechlorinator. After looking at BRS video I found my well test in my City and I was wondering if anyone can break it down to me and see if I can actually use tap water.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 6.45.10 PM.png

My city has the cleanest tap water in the U.S, but wondering what de-chlorinator I should use ?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty darn good to me, my only concerns would be the trace amounts of arsenic and copper. Although I've seen 15yo reefs using bad tap water, I'd be interested if that arsenic would slowly creep up and kill the tank. May take 15 years but I have no idea how much degrades or if dechlorinators would render it nontoxic. I personally would get an ro unit, probably just a 4 stage, just to know for sure I wasn't putting anything questionable into the tank. But if you don't want to do that, I'd use Prime. It's most people's go to that I know of.

OP
OP
Zaxh

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty darn good to me, my only concerns would be the trace amounts of arsenic and copper. Although I've seen 15yo reefs using bad tap water, I'd be interested if that arsenic would slowly creep up and kill the tank. May take 15 years but I have no idea how much degrades or if dechlorinators would render it nontoxic. I personally would get an ro unit, probably just a 4 stage, just to know for sure I wasn't putting anything questionable into the tank. But if you don't want to do that, I'd use Prime. It's most people's go to that I know of.
This would be the initial fill. After this I would be purchasing salt water from my LFS (I know in the long run RO unit is better lol but I’m lazy) so would the effects in the long run still have lasting effects even if I slowly cycle out the water with copper and other bads?

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use tap, a test as above is a snapshot in time and doesn't represent potential changes. Why risk all the investment over something you can easily by for a couple hundred or used for even less.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be the initial fill. After this I would be purchasing salt water from my LFS (I know in the long run RO unit is better lol but I’m lazy) so would the effects in the long run still have lasting effects even if I slowly cycle out the water with copper and other bads?
For initial fill and cycle idk if it would hurt anything. Especially getting salt water from your lfs for future water changes. I don't see why you couldn't get away with it. I would definitely do an icp after cycling just to see if there's any lingering bad stuff. They'll be able to tell you how to get rid of it if there is anything. 50 bucks for peace of mind and less death is always a bonus

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back