Free Nudibranch for Clove polyp control??

  • Thread starter Thread starter knltn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Both for legitimate scientific observation and for my own curiosity- what specific kind of Xenia and Clove polyps did it eat? Specific hobby names or actual species?

I ask as the only thing I've found speculated about their diet is that they may eat Heteroxenia genus coral(s).

Also, please let us know if it squirts any liquid - there has been a report of Tritoniid nudibranch (very tentatively ID'd as M. viridescens, though I can't confirm the ID from the pics provided with the report) squirting a liquid (presumed to be a toxin presumably gathered from the coral it eats) when it feels threatened; confirmation of that being a possibility with the species would be neat.
Here are several more pics. Hope it helps. He ate blue Xenia, daisy clove and something similar like the Indo Cultured Ultra Neon Tip Clove Polyp. I handled it three times moving from tank to tank and it doesn’t squirt any ink or liquid that I can tell.
IMG_3194.jpeg
IMG_3193.jpeg
 
I'm in Irvine, but my that nudi probably shouldn't go in with my wrasses no matter how bad the cloves are--actually my Aiptasia are doing a great job at comtrolling them just now. And if it secretes toxins when threatened, probably not a good idea...
I hear you. He is actually very docile.. roaming around in the tank all day. Doesn’t bother anyone and no one picks on him. Tank has scopas, sailfin, blue tangs, dottyback, 2 yellow coris wrasse, midas blenny, and a blue damsel. I just couldn’t afford to feed him and don’t want him starving to dead. Otherwise he’s pretty cool to look at and jelly like when handle.. not hard to find when he starts moving since he is big at 3 inch and easy to pick up…
 
I hear you. He is actually very docile.. roaming around in the tank all day. Doesn’t bother anyone and no one picks on him. Tank has scopas, sailfin, blue tangs, dottyback, 2 yellow coris wrasse, midas blenny, and a blue damsel. I just couldn’t afford to feed him and don’t want him starving to dead. Otherwise he’s pretty cool to look at and jelly like when handle.. not hard to find when he starts moving since he is big at 3 inch and easy to pick up…
Would be funny if he just bounced around from tank to tank in SoCal eating everyone's nuisance corals :p
 
Super long shot; did this little guy ever produce offspring? I am extremely interested in getting some.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new