Free Tank, Expensive Coral - 20 gallon tall

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, evening, or whatever time of day it happens to be when you read this thread! Decided to post the build/stocking/inevitable demise (or upgrade) of this 20 gallon tall, running BARE minimum equipment for coral and fish health.

Background
I love fish. That is the #1 fact people learn about me when they meet me. My obsession started when I was merely months old. Traditional kids shows didn’t stop me from being fussy when I was a kid. Only BBC’s blue planet did. Due to this, my parents decided to purchase me an aquarium to look at when I was one year old. This freshwater aquarium housed many oddities that my parents did not care to research, so it ended up killing quite a few fish. This 10 gallon would eventually be taken down about 7 years later.

It wasn’t until I was 14 that I decided to set back up this same 10 gallon tank for freshwater fish. It ran successfully for about two months before I contracted MTS. I need a 55, a 180 gallon (that never saw water, living with your parents sucks), a 20 gallon, and a saltwater tank… My first saltwater tank would be created from the corpse of the 10 gallon that had its “ugly” black rims removed.
3720AA95-AE6E-4D40-8665-3B382375F527.jpeg

this tank was an expiriment. I tried black box leds, build my own led, and eventually switched to a 150w metal halide. The halide was my favorite and I had great growth and colors on everything (when I remembered to change the water).

after the 10 gallon I upgraded to a 20 gallon innovative marine. Right after I purchased this tank I started working at an LFS. So it kind of became neglected and I don’t have any good pictures of it.

but due to me working at the LFS I had some amazing discounts and acquired a Red Sea Reefer 200xl. This was a great tank! I loved the size, the quality, however the stand was a little to talk to make maintenance easy. So this tank, while more successful than my other two, still suffered from neglect

01A15151-73BC-4930-832A-38AA89DE22DC.jpeg

I ended up gifting this tank to my mother and converting it to a soft coral tank when I moved to Florida to study Marine Biology. But I had my dorm tank, which was an Innovative Marine 10 gallon. Which got 0 maintenance at all. Kept my rock cycled I guess!

Current System
Aqueon 20 gallon tall
9B94DD24-5D79-4373-9AAF-D289768AC154.jpeg

Filter: Marineland Biowheel (free)
Light: AI prime 16HD (free)
Flow: AI Nero 3 (arriving tomorrow)
Frag rack: 3D print (free from friend)

As you can see. 3/4 pieces of equipment cost me nothing. Which is the best thing you can feel a broke college student. And I really think this will help me. As I have noticed the tanks that I put the least money, I end up putting more time into, and those tanks end up doing much better (at least in my 9 freshwater systems). Ask for livestock the list will be continually expanded. But as of 11:16 on Thursday the 22nd of February, We have

Fish
1x Yellow Spot Scorpionfish
(planned)
2x pink skunk clownfish / true percula
1x wrasse, probably a flasher of some sort (once I have a lid)

Inverts
2x Turbo Snails
1x Cerith
1x Babylonia Nassarius
1x Terry the Tunicate
D019BBF0-AFC1-484E-8F41-A9AF786201A7.jpeg

Infinite bivalves and spiroid worms
Coral
The main event here TBH. Loving the tank so far!!!!
Blueberry Zoanthids
Armor of God Paly
Brown Hammer
323DDFB0-F028-4C41-969A-03024B2D5CFB.jpeg

Red discosoma
04429885-3177-4F7A-849D-419981C67520.jpeg

Sunkist Bounce (splitting)
037E40C2-4E66-46ED-841B-63261168C2B6.jpeg

“The Eternal Favia” (the only coral from my OG ten gallon to survive ALL my tanks and not be sold off. Lived in a bucket for a month, moved cross country, survived Dino’s, Cyano, Bryopsis, High Alk, High salinity, no heat, no air, and just about everything else. I will one day submit a genetic sample for coral conservation efforts.
D43F09E8-011A-437C-968B-B2F7AC44AA29.jpeg

Todd’s Torch (purchased tonight)
Dark green watermelon looking torch (purchased tonight)
Purple Stylophora
Red digi
3C9A07A3-8E2C-4AF2-A3A5-A5240912DA5A.jpeg

and finally my red Goni

don’t have picture for everything. Especially the fish. He alludes me. I know he’s in there tho.

hope you enjoy my thread. There will be much more content coming soon…

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real nice tank you’ve got here! Scorpion fish huh? Could we get some pics? I think this fish is really underrated for reef tanks. Loving your coral selection and your Favia.
Thank you! I will try getting pics of Meatball (the scorpion). I did see him dart out of his cave last night and eat some ghost shrimp. But he is nocturnal and camouflages well. So he is difficult to even spot!
Appreciate the compliments on the coral selection! It pays to have some friends in the hobby who you can get nice stuff from! Tryin to get more torches and zoas tho... gunning for some exospheres.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will try getting pics of Meatball (the scorpion). I did see him dart out of his cave last night and eat some ghost shrimp. But he is nocturnal and camouflages well. So he is difficult to even spot!
Appreciate the compliments on the coral selection! It pays to have some friends in the hobby who you can get nice stuff from! Tryin to get more torches and zoas tho... gunning for some exospheres.
Willing to make a torch garden? Just keep in mind, at least IME, torches don’t like to be bunched up like other euphyllia so have a bit more spread than usual from each coral.

That’s good that you feed Meatball live foods. I see he has a favorite cave. I’d say be very vigilant if you get a fairy or a flasher as the Scorpion fish may find it appetizing if it’s small enough.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Willing to make a torch garden? Just keep in mind, at least IME, torches don’t like to be bunched up like other euphyllia so have a bit more spread than usual from each coral.

That’s good that you feed Meatball live foods. I see he has a favorite cave. I’d say be very vigilant if you get a fairy or a flasher as the Scorpion fish may find it appetizing if it’s small enough.
Yep! Torch garden is in the works, They have their own rock all to themselves ;)

And being in this hobby for 6 years and working at 2 different LFS's I am a firm believer in live foods or fresh seafood almost exclusively.

Meatball is a tiny guy, about 1 inch right now, maxing out at 2.5, His mouth is ridiculously small for a scorp, So I only would worry about fish if we were talking eviota/trimma gobies! I'm finding there is a lot more diversity in the orders we would consider predators the longer I am in the hobby!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real nice tank you’ve got here! Scorpion fish huh? Could we get some pics? I think this fish is really underrated for reef tanks. Loving your coral selection and your Favia.
Walked by the tank for a late night glass of water and guess who was at the front. Presenting his magnificence, Meatball!!!
7D82D0AF-C682-470E-944F-1F40E4D31E82.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, evening, or whatever time of day it happens to be when you read this thread! Decided to post the build/stocking/inevitable demise (or upgrade) of this 20 gallon tall, running BARE minimum equipment for coral and fish health.

Background
I love fish. That is the #1 fact people learn about me when they meet me. My obsession started when I was merely months old. Traditional kids shows didn’t stop me from being fussy when I was a kid. Only BBC’s blue planet did. Due to this, my parents decided to purchase me an aquarium to look at when I was one year old. This freshwater aquarium housed many oddities that my parents did not care to research, so it ended up killing quite a few fish. This 10 gallon would eventually be taken down about 7 years later.

It wasn’t until I was 14 that I decided to set back up this same 10 gallon tank for freshwater fish. It ran successfully for about two months before I contracted MTS. I need a 55, a 180 gallon (that never saw water, living with your parents sucks), a 20 gallon, and a saltwater tank… My first saltwater tank would be created from the corpse of the 10 gallon that had its “ugly” black rims removed.
3720AA95-AE6E-4D40-8665-3B382375F527.jpeg

this tank was an expiriment. I tried black box leds, build my own led, and eventually switched to a 150w metal halide. The halide was my favorite and I had great growth and colors on everything (when I remembered to change the water).

after the 10 gallon I upgraded to a 20 gallon innovative marine. Right after I purchased this tank I started working at an LFS. So it kind of became neglected and I don’t have any good pictures of it.

but due to me working at the LFS I had some amazing discounts and acquired a Red Sea Reefer 200xl. This was a great tank! I loved the size, the quality, however the stand was a little to talk to make maintenance easy. So this tank, while more successful than my other two, still suffered from neglect

01A15151-73BC-4930-832A-38AA89DE22DC.jpeg

I ended up gifting this tank to my mother and converting it to a soft coral tank when I moved to Florida to study Marine Biology. But I had my dorm tank, which was an Innovative Marine 10 gallon. Which got 0 maintenance at all. Kept my rock cycled I guess!

Current System
Aqueon 20 gallon tall
9B94DD24-5D79-4373-9AAF-D289768AC154.jpeg

Filter: Marineland Biowheel (free)
Light: AI prime 16HD (free)
Flow: AI Nero 3 (arriving tomorrow)
Frag rack: 3D print (free from friend)

As you can see. 3/4 pieces of equipment cost me nothing. Which is the best thing you can feel a broke college student. And I really think this will help me. As I have noticed the tanks that I put the least money, I end up putting more time into, and those tanks end up doing much better (at least in my 9 freshwater systems). Ask for livestock the list will be continually expanded. But as of 11:16 on Thursday the 22nd of February, We have

Fish
1x Yellow Spot Scorpionfish
(planned)
2x pink skunk clownfish / true percula
1x wrasse, probably a flasher of some sort (once I have a lid)

Inverts
2x Turbo Snails
1x Cerith
1x Babylonia Nassarius
1x Terry the Tunicate
D019BBF0-AFC1-484E-8F41-A9AF786201A7.jpeg

Infinite bivalves and spiroid worms
Coral
The main event here TBH. Loving the tank so far!!!!
Blueberry Zoanthids
Armor of God Paly
Brown Hammer
323DDFB0-F028-4C41-969A-03024B2D5CFB.jpeg

Red discosoma
04429885-3177-4F7A-849D-419981C67520.jpeg

Sunkist Bounce (splitting)
037E40C2-4E66-46ED-841B-63261168C2B6.jpeg

“The Eternal Favia” (the only coral from my OG ten gallon to survive ALL my tanks and not be sold off. Lived in a bucket for a month, moved cross country, survived Dino’s, Cyano, Bryopsis, High Alk, High salinity, no heat, no air, and just about everything else. I will one day submit a genetic sample for coral conservation efforts.
D43F09E8-011A-437C-968B-B2F7AC44AA29.jpeg

Todd’s Torch (purchased tonight)
Dark green watermelon looking torch (purchased tonight)
Purple Stylophora
Red digi
3C9A07A3-8E2C-4AF2-A3A5-A5240912DA5A.jpeg

and finally my red Goni

don’t have picture for everything. Especially the fish. He alludes me. I know he’s in there tho.

hope you enjoy my thread. There will be much more content coming soon…
great looking tank!!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!

here’s a pic of the two torches I got last night. The Todd’s is still opening up on one side. But they both seem to be happy!! Man I love how quickly LPS adapt to my tank!
8092B3C9-E577-45E3-90D7-66F341EE8D8D.jpeg
I’m not sure what type of torch it is and it is a new addition but the one on the left side seems a little bleached or pale?

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what type of torch it is and it is a new addition but the one on the left side seems a little bleached or pale?
He is VERY puffed up compared to how he looked in my friends tank. Not seeing any bleaching. Just looks like fluffy, thin, euphyllia tissue.

but I will keep my eye on it seeing if it gets any worse

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized the Goni hasn’t got any love in this thread.
8C24CD13-7115-4632-869E-DBA9B9758936.jpeg

mushroom is also done splitting. Gonna keep one on the rocks, and one on the frag disk. The more bounces the better!

also already planning and purchasing for another upgrade. looking like a 75 (already had this tank, just desicded to do fresh due to finances, need to transfer my fish out of it and do salt!!) and POSSIBLY a 200 gallon frag system in my garage…

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That snail looks really nice! Don’t know much about Babylon snails. Do they play nice with other snails?
Yep! They are just a species of nassarius snail. While there are reports of them eating small snails. It is probably dead ones they are consuming. Super pretty, and acts just like any other nassarius. You just see the little breathing tube until it’s time to feed!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! They are just a species of nassarius snail. While there are reports of them eating small snails. It is probably dead ones they are consuming. Super pretty, and acts just like any other nassarius. You just see the little breathing tube until it’s time to feed!
I love mine. I had 6 initially but now down to 2. I love them lol. Named one of them Steve.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back