French Cleats or Z Brackets

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a floating canopy that is 8’ long and 27” wide. I have to mount it to the wall that will also contain about 60-70 pounds of coralcare lights. Anybody ever use these brackets for this kind of weight extending away from the wall? I was thinking of using 6 30” z brackets to hold it (top and bottom) Thoughts? And I have 18’ ceilings and wife will not allow it to hang.

5DD481D7-A038-4EA5-94D0-9A83EF1CC00F.jpeg

Last edited:

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used all the time for things like upper kitchen cabinets - so clearly can take the weight. I’d go for some steel and don’t cheese out on the fasteners. Something like Cabinet Mounting Screws (yes that’s a thing) and make sure they’re into studs.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where I came up with the idea, for me it was the fact of how far away from the wall it has to support creating a big heavy pry bar

Other option I was thinking was build it like a floating shelf just using wood attached to the studs

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating shelf indeed creates a lot of moment. Usually we want the fasteners in shear so they don’t pull out. Z bars RO cleats are generally pulling down now out, so I guess yes you want to make the hood taller rather than slim to help alleviate the moment.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Z bars or a French cleat would work well. Just make sure both sides are really secure. The torque will really pull in the screws.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would want longer ones so you can hit more than one stud to mount them. Either one long one of a couple that are 18" so you can mount to 2 studs assuming your studs are 16" on center. The further your canopy is from the wall the greater the leverage is that will be applied to the brackets. 27 plus inches is a lot of leverage! I think o would consider lighter lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 G5 XR30’s over the tank now, main reason for coralcares is to kill off fan noise. I also was looking at just using 19” shelve brackets and suspending the lights, then just building a hood that slides on top of the brackets. I have these brackets in my garage and can do pull-ups off of them

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think using a bracket like that would work just fine, although I'd use one that is the full length (or just short) of the hood to give maximum support. Anchor to the studs only and you'll be able to sit on top of the hood if you want. If available, stainless would be best but aluminum should be just fine.

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the front would tend to tip down due to how far off the wall the canopy projects. The dimensions of a kitchen cabinet are very different.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 G5 XR30’s over the tank now, main reason for coralcares is to kill off fan noise. I also was looking at just using 19” shelve brackets and suspending the lights, then just building a hood that slides on top of the brackets. I have these brackets in my garage and can do pull-ups off of them

I thik the shelf brackets will be a better choice as the are designed for a cantilevered load and will spread the load verticaly. If you use the cleats it may end up digging with the bottom edge digging into the dry wall and the canopy angled down to the front. It would take very little digging in or compression of the dry wall to make this noticeable.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thik the shelf brackets will be a better choice as the are designed for a cantilevered load and will spread the load verticaly. If you use the cleats it may end up digging with the bottom edge digging into the dry wall and the canopy angled down to the front. It would take very little digging in or compression of the dry wall to make this noticeable.

That's a great point I hadn't considered! If you were to use 2 rows of cleats or brackets it will prevent any sagging due to compression of the drywall. Place one set near the top, the other near the bottom you'll be just fine either way

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to add any extra engineering to your decision, but if fan noise is an issue and is weight, I'd recommend looking at the Kessil A360x. You'll need about 6-8 of them on an 8 footer. They are relatively light weight and their angled mounting arm is really quite good. I have 4 of them on my 6 footer and they are virtually silent. Quiet enough to where I can't hear them over the noise of the water moving in the sump.

Where i ran into a problem was the rim on my tank is too big for the mounting brackets, so I took a piece of 1 inch square tube aluminum and mounted that behind the tank, the lights are then mounted to that tube.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to add any extra engineering to your decision, but if fan noise is an issue and is weight, I'd recommend looking at the Kessil A360x. You'll need about 6-8 of them on an 8 footer. They are relatively light weight and their angled mounting arm is really quite good. I have 4 of them on my 6 footer and they are virtually silent. Quiet enough to where I can't hear them over the noise of the water moving in the sump.

Where i ran into a problem was the rim on my tank is too big for the mounting brackets, so I took a piece of 1 inch square tube aluminum and mounted that behind the tank, the lights are then mounted to that tube.

I feel like 1 light per foot will be a cluster with k link cables and power supplies. I have always wanted to try kessil

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that setup... it's not horrible to setup, but i gotta say, I'm really digging the kessils. they put out a good light, even spread, and quiet.

I can grab some snapshots of my setup.

I feel like 1 light per foot will be a cluster with k link cables and power supplies. I have always wanted to try kessil

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized i made a cardinal sin... i didn't ask why you wanted a canopy, was it because the CoralCare lights are kind of hideous? or to control light bleed?

If it's to control light bleed, given where you tank is setup, you do a custom canopy with an aluminum frame that's on the side of the tank, you can run the wires along that. I like aluminum because it doesn't corrode and you can easily cut it to size and all you need to join two pieces are some bolts. I don't have a good way to share what's in my head but two sets of upside down U's for the frame and use some MDF painted and sealed black and mount the lights in that.

but again, it all depends on the goal of the canopy.

OP
OP
Hydrored

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy was to kill light bleed and a place to hang 80 lbs of lights. I’ve cancelled my order on the coralcares, between the argument in my house and the custom canopy is going to have to wait. I’m open to trying lights and budget is not an issue at this point

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back