FreshCoastReef 20 Gallon JBJ AIO

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's exponentially too. Once you get to a few heads it explodes. This little hammer turned into about 14 ish heads in two years.
Screenshot_20220618-092554_Gallery.jpg
20220619_110721.jpg

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the new head sprouting on my hammer

PXL_20220629_195011254~2.jpg

PXL_20220629_195056590.jpg

My Clownfish kept fighting continuously on Wednesday morning so I've now separated them. One will stay in the breeder box for about a week before I attempt to reintroduce. Hoping this will help them coexist better moving forward.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually may be a vermetid snail. If it has a spiral at the base and none of the flesh from the main head touching it it almost definitely is.

Here is an example of some new heads sprouting on one of my hammers.
20220209_181015.jpg

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as follow up to the earlier Clownfish fighting post, unfortunately the DaVinci Clowns did not work out together. I tried a week long time out using a breeder box, but upon release they were right back at it and would have fought to the death had I not intervened.

Thankfully my LFS agreed to re-home one of them (got some store credit) and I picked out a new clown from their stock. Ended up with a sweet looking Darwin Misbar.

Leonardo & Lady Ermine Deux
PXL_20220717_231840878~2.jpg

PXL_20220717_122117349~2.jpg

I've also added a couple new corals - Duncan & Purple People Eater Zoas:
PXL_20220717_231514930.jpg

PXL_20220714_135109768.jpg

Here is Full Tank Shot:
PXL_20220717_232126026.jpg

One thing I'm working through is a WWC Festivus Favities that was doing well for 4 weeks, but has started to bleach. Based on testing from LFS it looks like I'm low in Cal & Mag, so will begin dosing by hand and hope that turns things around.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a sucker for cool rock work! minimal but nice!!!
Thanks @MoshJosh - I'm a fan of the asymmetrical look. May add more rock eventually, but this scape suits my current plan... Aiming to get a big Toadstool growing on the leftmost rock eventually.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what a cool surprise this week brought! I had a very tall friend over on Thursday night and was showing off the tank to him. He asked what the "creature" was hanging out in the sump portion of my AIO. I thought he was talking about the ATO sensor. But I took a look and there was my long lost sexy shrimp!

The shrimp had disappeared 3 days after introducing it to the tank, and I thought at the time that the Emerald Crab may have eaten her, but turns out she squirmed her way into the sump and has been surviving back there for a month.

I am glad to have her back. Long live Frida!

PXL_20220728_143450118.jpg

Also digging this new Duncan I got, it's settling in well.

PXL_20220721_163112779.jpg

Last edited:

anthonyh33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Full Tank Shot - 7.28.22
PXL_20220728_151017466.jpg

Hello Reef2Reef!

I'm excited to start my first Build Thread. I've been in and out of the aquarium hobby several times over the years, mainly related to moves across country. I've primarily kept freshwater planted tanks in the past. After a recent 10 day trip to St. Thomas USVI, and tons of amazing snorkeling, I decided I had to have a little slice of ocean in our home.

Thanks to this forum I found a used JBJ 20 Gallon AIO for a good deal - shoutout to @bro1123 for helping me get set-up. Here's the details:
  • Display tank: JBJ 20 Gallon All-in-One
  • Glass or Acrylic: Glass
  • Stand: JBJ Gloss Black Stand
  • Sump: All-in-one style, so the sump is integrated into the back of the tank
  • Return pump: Stock return pump - 12W 198GPH. (I'm considering upgrading to Sicce Syncra Silent - curious what other's experience has been?)
  • Water circulation: Hoping to add Nero 3 soon
  • Lighting (display): AI Prime 16 HD with the Light Shade/Diffuser from 3D Reefing (Schedule is 10 hours with 1 hour ramp up and down)
  • Auto top-off: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO
  • Heating: 2 Eheim Jagers hooked into to Inkbird ITC-306A
  • System control: I have a BN-Link Smart Power Strip on order that I plan to use as a sort of basic controller.
  • Maintenance: Currently 3 gallon (15%) water changes weekly
I set everything up on May 1st, dosed Dr. Tim's, and the cycle was complete by day 13.

Here's my first photo under the Prime light - need to figure out how to get a better white balance in my photos

Second photo during daylight with Prime on cool white only.

PXL_20220517_134629314.jpg

From my experience with planted tanks I knew I wanted to take time to get my aquascape just right, so I tried a bunch of different set-ups with the rockwork over the course of a week. I used wrapped paper to help envision how the sand would sit against the rocks. I'm pretty happy with what I landed on - there is visual interest and depth with just the rocks, and now I get to build upon that with corals!

PXL_20220421_204633338.jpg

On Monday night this week I added my first coral and inverts:
  • Hammer Coral: Euphylia ancora
  • Purple Photosynthetic Sponge: Collospongia sp.
  • Emerald Crab: Mithraculus sculptus (named Giacometti)
  • Sexy Shrimp: Thor amboinensis (named Frida)
I'll work to get good pictures of them this weekend so I can share.

I already love this tank! It lives in my office and I work from home, so I get to observe it everyday. It's nice to have some companions sharing the space with me, and I'm jamming on the chill vibes of the gently waving hammer. I'm looking forward to learning more about the biology of this system and how to best work with natural processes to build a healthy reef tank.

I've started this build thread to record my progress, and meet folks in the community. My goals with this tank are to take it slow, create a beautiful mixed reef, and to feature symbiotic relationships as much as possible. Corals will be mainly softies and LPS, maybe select SPS down the road. I prefer the purples, reds, and turquoise colors over the bright fluorescent greens, yellows and oranges. I'm thinking that a Toadstool Leather or Weeping Willow Leather would eventually be a nice feature on the rock to the far left. For fish, I know I'll be adding a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and I'm really intrigued by the Yasha Hase Goby paired with a Pistol Shrimp.

Thanks for reading along and happy reefing! PXL_20220717_232126026.jpg
Love the tank and especially the aquascape! Nicely done!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back