It Starts... 60 gallon AIO

Generator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jen here. I got into the hobby 6 years ago with an 11-gallon freshwater cube which I still have and decided it was time for salt. My tank is set to arrive in 2 days and I'm melting down wondering what I'm forgetting. I plan to start it with live rock and live sand from TBS. I figure I'll spend time with the acquired critters getting my brain wired to actually do this thing while I weed out pests and plan what to add based on what fun things come attached to and hiding in the rocks that stay. I'm trying to simplify without getting over complicated in the simplification if that makes sense. I think I may have already failed and gone down the gadget rabbit hole. I imagine I'll upgrade items down the line but wanted to get more familiar with what's basic first. Feedback is welcome of course!

Setup so far: (not including the standard items included from IM)

IM SR PRO 2 60-gallon AIO w stand
BRS 4 Stage Value Plus 75GPD RO/DI System
(tap TDS runs 32-45, non-chloramine treated)
Simplicity 4 head dosing pump
AQUA GADGET - Aquashield UV 11W
XpAqua Duetto ATO V2
Premium Aquatics Salinity Refractometer w/ ATC
(2) Cetus 2SP Single 68W 6 channel LED
(1) Hygger Marine 200W Titanium heater w/ temp probe and external control
Secondary Thermometer
(2) Hygger powerhead 2300 GPH
(overkill I realize, maybe the motor might last longer running mid range)
5 gallon home brew plastic jug w handle For ATO
ADJ Products PC-100A AC POWER STRIP
Multiple items to route wires and lines
Instant Ocean Sea Salt
ESV Alk/Ca
Acclimation box
(because no one needs traumatized, me included)

I know I need test kits, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph. I'm not sure what others I need up front?? What have items have I overlooked? Thanks!

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would forget the dosing pump for now.
I know I need test kits, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph. I'm not sure what others I need up front?
You don’t need nitrite test kit. Maybe calcium alkalinity and magnesium. But even then, if you’re using a name brand salt and doing water changes, those are not needed until your tank is established. Your LFS can provide water tests saving you a few dollars as long as you don’t buy into there advice “that you need this and that”

OP
OP
Generator

Generator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I probably wouldn't need the dosing pump until it was stocked and actively growing. That's probably about when I decided I needed to quit reading, overthinking and see what pans out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back