freshwater cotton wool fungus

  • Thread starter Thread starter yuzu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

yuzu

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2020
Messages
36
Reaction score
21
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched for a Fresh2Fresh but didn't see any. Is there a freshwater forum as active as Reef2reef?

I recently bought a betta fish online, and after quarantining for a few days, introduced him to a new tank with a DIY divider; to test the divider, I put a female on the other side. Probably from the stress of being posted and different tanks, he started to develop white fluff on the tips of his tail. I removed the female and put her in a container whilst I treated the male, but now she has developed the fungus too. The male's condition is not too bad and perhaps getting better, but the female after seeming healthy for the past few days, suddenly had a fluffy tail yesterday and lost her appetite. I've been using what I have at home; some anti-ich/velvet containing malachite green and some anti fungus treatment containing phenoxyethanol. Yesterday, I tried adding a little marine salt because I've heard salt is recommended. Today the female seems worse so I tried rubbing her tail with a cotton bud dipped in iodine- haven't heard of anyone doing this. Furthermore, all the surfaces in the male's tank now have white fluff. In a decade of keeping fish, I haven't seen anything as contagious as this! I plan to continue cleaning the tanks and adding the medicines, but was wondering if anyone had some advice.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new