Freshwater dip killed my flasher wrasse

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a diamond tail flasher wrasse for two weeks and decided to do a freshwater dip to be on the safe side for flukes. He was eating good not acting weird in any ways. Did the freshwater dip for 4 minutes, areate it for 45 mins before and temp match, put it back in the tank and he swam into hiding. Came back down an hour and a half later to find it dead. Cant find many other threads that had their fish die from a freshwater dip, anyone know why or what happened? This fish was so nice looking as well as had a really cool personality. I’m mad at myself for doing the freshwater dip when I didn’t have to

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a diamond tail flasher wrasse for two weeks and decided to do a freshwater dip to be on the safe side for flukes. He was eating good not acting weird in any ways. Did the freshwater dip for 4 minutes, areate it for 45 mins before and temp match, put it back in the tank and he swam into hiding. Came back down an hour and a half later to find it dead. Cant find many other threads that had their fish die from a freshwater dip, anyone know why or what happened? This fish was so nice looking as well as had a really cool personality. I’m mad at myself for doing the freshwater dip when I didn’t have to
Yeah there really wasnt a reason to fw dip. Maybe it was stress from parameter change.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I match a test kit readong of PH by adding a little of my soda ash solution calculated by the vollume of the fresh water and how much brs says to add of the solution to match the dkh of my tank.

I know the PH probably doesn't exactly match if I stuck a probe in, but I figure it reduces risk of PH shock.

This might be a step that has made fw dipping for me not have a bad outcome yet.

I have noted there a lot of people who do not bother matching PH however, as most guides I saw do not mention it.

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :crying-face:

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I match a test kit readong of PH by adding a little of my soda ash solution calculated by the vollume of the fresh water and how much brs says to add of the solution to match the dkh of my tank.

I know the PH probably doesn't exactly match if I stuck a probe in, but I figure it reduces risk of PH shock.

This might be a step that has made fw dipping for me not have a bad outcome yet.

I have noted there a lot of people who do not bother matching PH however, as most guides I saw do not mention it.
That very well could have been the issue, it took me a while to catch him so probably the stress from that and from the ph difference could have done it

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used rodi water
Darn. Sorry.

Next time, use tapwater at reef temperature.

RODI water is harsh on tissues that aren't protected. If you've ever done a sinus rinse with distilled water and forgotten to add the salt/baking soda like I have, it burns like crazy.

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am recently back on the SW scene after a decade hiatus; however, when doing a FW dip I always used dechlorinated tap for the simple reason that my tap PH similarily matches the tank with very little chemical altering. I am very sorry you had a fish loss, it can be both sad and frustrating.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. Sorry.

RODI water is harsh on tissues that aren't protected. If you've ever done a sinus rinse with distilled water and forgotten to add the salt/baking soda like I have, it burns like crazy.
Really?? I had no idea, I always used rodi?

So its better to take tap and put the ol' stresscoat in to declorinate?

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. Sorry.

Wow I never knew this, but the way you explain it that way makes a lot of sense.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am recently back on the SW scene after a decade hiatus; however, when doing a FW dip I always used dechlorinated tap for the simple reason that my tap PH similarily matches the tank with very little chemical altering. I am very sorry you had a fish loss, it can be both sad and frustrating.
Good to know, I’ll use tap next time for sure. Thank you, it certainly is frustrating and sad in many ways

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips do nothing as far as a fluke problem. It’s very stressful for a new wrasse. I highly don’t recommend them.
Best to have second tank set up and acclimate a wrasse in it then can treat proper after it settles and eats. Wrasse shouldn’t be raised more than a .001 - .002 salinity in a 24 hour period
sorry for your loss

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips do nothing as far as a fluke problem. It’s very stressful for a new wrasse. I highly don’t recommend them.
Best to have second tank set up and acclimate a wrasse in it then can treat proper after it settles and eats. Wrasse shouldn’t be raised more than a .001 - .002 salinity in a 24 hour period
sorry for your loss
I thought it make them fall off to see if the fish had them? I currently have another wrasse in 1.012 so good to know how slowly to raise the salinity

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back