Freshwater dip

Stingray77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing a freshwater dip to all of my fish at 1 time to reduce change of water and less stress, I was thinking about adding copper safe too the freshwater dip tank . now I have never done that before with copper has anybody out there done it with copper safe and did it work? it makes me think it's a good idea but I don't know what do you guys think help me out I need to know today!!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dips can be an effective way to rid/dislodge some parasites within a certain part of their life cycle thus removing some of the fishes distress. You will need to adjust the waters PH up to SW levels before hand. If I remember correctly you don't want to add copper to the FW dip ??? Do you have a QT setup for this or is this a temporary but immediate measure to deal with parasites in the Display ? A full QT with either copper treatment or hypo salinity would be best IMO/IME.

Cheers, Todd

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, copper only kills parasites in specific stages of their life cycle. At least with ich, that stage where ich can be killed with copper, is NOT when ich is actually still on the fish. That would make it useless for you to dose copper during a dragster bath.

It would be most helpful to be specific about what parasite your dealing with, and then seek the proper help. With most parasites, a series of fresh dips won't due much if your putting the fish back into the infected water/tank that you originally pulled them from.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back