Freshwater Dips

bchas41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am getting close to adding livestock to my tank and I am a little stressed on the freshwater dips for the fish. As I match PH should it match my tank or the bag it is delivered in? Should i drip acclimate it before the freshwater dip? After the dip should i put it back in the original bag or the quarantine tank? Sorry for all the crazy questions, but i don't want to overly stress my soon to be new buddies. From all the videos I have seen and my local LFS fresh water dips are the way to go. I am just a little worried that i'll match the wrong water.

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you do a fresh water dip for acclimation I've only know it to be treatment for marine ich

OP
OP
bchas41

bchas41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make sure the fish do not have Flukes on them, is what i have mainly seen. Doing a 3 to 5 min dip .

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bag that they come and load it on the water of the tag to get the temperature of the water than what I normally do is I'll open up the tag keeping the back in the water making sure that the whole stays out just hang it over the edge of the tank then every 10 to 15 minutes add a little bit of water to help them acclimate can you repeat the cycle depending on what it is I normally do about 30 to 45 minutes sometimes longerso after that bag is about three quarters full and you can take the fish out of the bag if you'd like and place them into the tanks. Corals and some invert especially starfish I will use drip method

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dips are great and are very less stressful on fish if going from one tank to another tank with same exact parameter otherwise if not you can possibly stress them

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video - How to do a Freshwater Dip

Freshwater dips are not necessary to do to new fish. If you plan to run them through QT then you can just treat them with prazipro which would cover the possibility of flukes. I save FW dips for when I see a need.... like a fish that is having difficulty breathing OR a fish that I already own and need to know if it has flukes due to symptoms it's displaying.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using a quarantine just match salinity to the water they arrive in and drop the fish in after temp acclimation.
I use a syringe and small need to poke the bag and get a sample, put packing tape over hole. Check salinity and adjust quarantine to match.
This way you can bring them up to your display tank parameters over time with no rush

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back