Freshwater Issue...

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so hear me out. I know this forum is for mostly saltwater, but I have a freshwater emergency....I have a Betta fish I had about 2 years and he looks incredibly sick. I checked on him last night and he was curled up at the bottom of the tank and wasn't moving. Today he seemed okay but he swims about 6 or 7 inches and then lays at the bottom of the tank and doesn't move for a little while. I checked his water parameters and they're all fine; pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all within range. I honestly have no idea what to do and I need your help... :(

The outlook doesn't seem good and I really don't want to lose him but I need your opinion.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I added salt to the water about a day ago in hopes that might help. He’s pretty warm, he has a 50 watt heater and the temp is about 79 F.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His fins have been getting a little torn over the past few weeks. He’s the only one in the tank. Do you think a disease could have caused these symptoms?? Is it something I could treat???

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His fins have been getting a little torn over the past few weeks. He’s the only one in the tank. Do you think a disease could have caused these symptoms?? Is it something I could treat???
Fin rot can cause a betta's fins to become ragged as if it tore them on something. If there's nothing in the tank that is rough enough to cause tears, then perhaps it's fin rot.

But I've never had a betta nor have I had a fish with fin rot. Try googling images of fin rot and see if it matches what your fish's fins look like.

(Fin rot should be treatable btw)

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot can cause a betta's fins to become ragged as if it tore them on something. If there's nothing in the tank that is rough enough to cause tears, then perhaps it's fin rot.

But I've never had a betta nor have I had a fish with fin rot. Try googling images of fin rot and see if it matches what your fish's fins look like.

(Fin rot should be treatable btw)

I did Google "fin rot on Betta" and it seems to be fin rot, a bit less severe than what some of the fish's fins look like, but it definitely looks unfortunately like a match. I'm trying to do everything in my power to save my guy, so I think it would be ideally to treat him for both. Do you recommend any products that work well for both fin rot and a bacterial infection??

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem kanaplex and seachem metroplex for both fin rot and bacterial infections

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good news!!!! My Betta fish is getting better, he’s swimming more normally and he’s seems more like himself. I think I’m still going to treat him for fin rot, I’ll go out this weekend. But I’m so glad he’s a little better, thank you all so much. [emoji846]

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so hear me out. I know this forum is for mostly saltwater, but I have a freshwater emergency....I have a Betta fish I had about 2 years and he looks incredibly sick. I checked on him last night and he was curled up at the bottom of the tank and wasn't moving. Today he seemed okay but he swims about 6 or 7 inches and then lays at the bottom of the tank and doesn't move for a little while. I checked his water parameters and they're all fine; pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all within range. I honestly have no idea what to do and I need your help... :(

The outlook doesn't seem good and I really don't want to lose him but I need your opinion.
Could be a parasite or worms. There are a lot of Betta videos on YouTube, you may be able to find betta advice on there.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back