Freshwater snail issue

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some snails to the tank and they never moved from day 1. I turned it over to take a picture. Anyone know what could have happened?

image.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a salt tank that’s why lol idk
Haha, I was pretty concerned that you may have added a freshwater snail to a saltwater tank, so I appreciate the clarification.

For your question, I'm definitely not a freshwater expert at this point, but I've heard of these snails (Vittina spp.) staying in one spot for days (typically 1-2 days, but I've heard in some cases of people not seeing the snail move for literally ~2 weeks).

The snail seems to be at least mostly intact from what I can see in the photo, so my next questions would be 1 ) does the snail smell like it's dead/dying? 2 ) have you checked if it's moving around at night? and 3 ) does it have food available for it in the tank that it can/would eat?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some snails to the tank and they never moved from day 1. I turned it over to take a picture. Anyone know what could have happened?

image.jpg
How were they acclimated to the new home?
Saltwater snails can do that as well, just die where there dropped.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a salt tank that’s why lol idk
:)

I assume there is a trapdoor on this snail. Can you gently pry it open? If yes and doesn’t close again it’s dead.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nerites have a hard operculum that closes them inside their shells which doesn't seem to be present on that snail? It's usually a dark color like this

nerite.jpg

Unless the image was somehow blown out or reflecting pretty brightly? The operculum falls off when they die. Sniff test is great advice though. Sometimes they just don't acclimate properly, did you just drop it in or give it a bit of acclimation time for temp? How's your tank parameters?

Also were they clinging to the sides or bottom at the store? I don't buy snails that aren't clinging to a wall just in case they've already perished.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back