Freshwater tank

thatguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 freshwater tanks setup right now... But have gotten into the "saltwater world" I was thinking about adopting my current fish out to new homes and re-using the tanks... What would I have to watch out for?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 freshwater tanks setup right now... But have gotten into the "saltwater world" I was thinking about adopting my current fish out to new homes and re-using the tanks... What would I have to watch out for?
The main thing is to make sure that you thoroughly rinse out the old tanks because with freshwater you most likely use tap water which can contain contaminants that salt water isn't going to like such as copper another heavy metals so make sure you rinse out the tank really good with RO water and purchase an Rodi unit to make your own water it's cheaper in the long run

OP
OP
thatguy88

thatguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing is to make sure that you thoroughly rinse out the old tanks because with freshwater you most likely use tap water which can contain contaminants that salt water isn't going to like such as copper another heavy metals so make sure you rinse out the tank really good with RO water and purchase an Rodi unit to make your own water it's cheaper in the long run
So I'm thinking of just making them med/ quarantine tank... No Corals. I have a different tank as my display. Would I still need to worry about the coppers and such

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking of just making them med/ quarantine tank... No Corals. I have a different tank as my display. Would I still need to worry about the coppers and such
Nope, but still never hurts to do a good rinsing

OP
OP
thatguy88

thatguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Im thinking I'm going to do an AR/di rinse... I was thinking about it and if I want a Coral quarantine tank gotta do that... And from what I've seen recently. I don't want pest in my display.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A lot of it depends on the size of the tanks and what sort of equipment you want to run. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy a complete used saltwater setup than it is to re-purpose a freshwater config. What size of tank are they and what sort of things are you interested in? For sanitation of the tank you can use tapwater and white distilled vinegar and let the equipment you are going to use run for at least 24 hours (if not several days). This will ensure the death of any remaining bacteria/nasties that would be terrible for saltwater. Just make sure you completely drain and spray it out when it is all done and then wipe down completely and let it sit for another 24 hours. As long as you let the tank completely dry out then use RODI from there on out you should be fine.

OP
OP
thatguy88

thatguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 and 10 gallon... Thinking about drilling the back of the 20 and using the 10 for a mini sump... And like I said it's just a med/quarantine system. Not going to have a huge bio load

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back