Freshwater?

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling up my setup with freshwater then adding salt. Can I put sand and dry rock in freshwater for a few days until I add salt? Ordered it online but want to start setting the rock work up today. I usually just add saltwater to a new build but with this much water volume I think it's easier this way. I was going to do my Rockwork add tap water, add stuff to remove chlorine and when my salt gets here add it and keep checking the salinity until I get to 1.026.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be best if you mean tap water to say tap water rather than freshwater as it can get confusing.

If you do mean tap water I wouldn’t put rock in tap water, sand can be rinsed but I would expect rock could hold on to stuff in tap water you wouldn’t want in the tank.

I strongly recommend you go with rodi water.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tank are you going to keep? Reef tank? Tap water is almost out of question in most cases. Chloramines are only part of the problem. RO/DI is the safest as others pointed out. You can get away with tap with a fish only system with easy fish. Please share more about your set up and what you intend to keep.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this. I recommend doing your rock work first and add salt and water at the same time. There’s really no point in adding water without salt although it won’t hurt.

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gpd rodi system in my basement, where my sump is. The sump is filled with rodi water but I have to fill up my 180 up stairs. It will be a mixed reef tank. This is the same WaY I did my 120. (used tap water initially) maybe I will wait to add all of my rock.. The main issue is there is no way to get the rodi water upstairs to fill my 180 unless I carry buckets but that's not happening. Lol

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused, why can't you just keep filling the sump with RODI and use the return pump to send it up to the display?

OP
OP
Mussin

Mussin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could but it would be messy as I already put sand in there.. My mistake there

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back