Friendly PSA: Clean your skimmer!

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's not hard to use too much GFO. It can be too aggressive, which is why I've only used a couple times. I probably only used half of the recommended amount when i did use it. If I'm dealing with algae issues, CUC, water changes, manual removal and time is a far better method. You can't fix things overnight, it took time to create the problem and it will take (and should) time to remedy the problem.
Yup, Lesson Learned!!! Probably a long road to get rid of these little demons haha.

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack your post. Thanks for the reminder!

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday i cleaned my skimmer turns out it was not turning on because of salt building up in the air intake. Cleaned it and works like new.
Do you run your airline outside? Since running the line outside I am getting a hard calcium buildup at the skimmer intake.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your airline outside? Since running the line outside I am getting a hard calcium buildup at the skimmer intake.
I dont run it outside but when i cleaned it i also noticed calcium build up near where the line connected to the pump. But i dont think this greaty impacted. My issue was the pump priming

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes to the outside, then into a dual chamber co2 scrubber.
Has you experienced hard calcium build up? Not the light crusty film, gunk that is normal but hard and fully closing off the air supply? Trying to figure out the cause as I have never had this issue before. Think it is due to the tube being a bit loose at the fitting and drawing in a small amount of water. The only other thing would be the temperature differential between cold air draw into the warm water.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has you experienced hard calcium build up? Not the light crusty film, gunk that is normal but hard and fully closing off the air supply? Trying to figure out the cause as I have never had this issue before. Think it is due to the tube being a bit loose at the fitting and drawing in a small amount of water. The only other thing would be the temperature differential between cold air draw into the warm water.

I would call mine normal build up, but you'll probably experience more if there's a small leak, even if it's pulling in air near the skimmer (which could draw in more salt spray). I'm only getting a small amount of build up over the course of 4 to 6 months, so if yours is building up quicker, than I would look into a leak.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had hard calcium that ive needed to use a tooth pick to crack out. Sometimes my heater gets a white build up of calcium. Im not sure from what it comes from but i think its either lower flow in the sump and heat. Or calcium precipitating from If you are dosing. Brs mentioned that in a video i think. But i was getting it where the water and air come together so its probably what minus9 said

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Precipitation and heat will cause build up fast. If your dosing lines are near a pump or heater, you'll most likely experience this, especially if there's not enough time between dosing 2 part or similar. That's why I like an hour bath in citric acid, but I've had to chip away a little extra build up from time to time.

MurphyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation and heat will cause build up fast. If your dosing lines are near a pump or heater, you'll most likely experience this, especially if there's not enough time between dosing 2 part or similar. That's why I like an hour bath in citric acid, but I've had to chip away a little extra build up from time to time.
I don’t dose near the skimmer so I think the loose tube is the issue. I put a fitting on it tonight to make sure I have a tight fit. Thank you both for the advice.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what ratio do you use. I cleaned my tunze power heads yesterday and just eye balled it. My reef has so much more flow now.

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured with the start of the new year, I would remind everyone to clean your skimmers to keep them in tip-top shape. I usually clean mine about every six months or so. It doesn't take much for build-up and detritus to reduce the efficiency of your skimmer, so having a good maintenance routine helps to prolong the life of your gear/skimmers.
I noticed my air intake reduced drastically in the past couple days, so it was time to give it a nice bath. I prefer to wash it off with tap water to take off the big stuff, then reassemble it and put it in a citric acid bath for an hour or two (running it to overflow into the collection cup and back into the bucket), rinse and reinstall in the sump.
Mine usually takes a day or two to build up bio-film again, then it's back to normal.
Happy New Year and happy reefing!
Cheers!
I’ve been cleaning mine once a month. I think I have too much time on my hands lol it does look good though!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious what ratio do you use. I cleaned my tunze power heads yesterday and just eye balled it. My reef has so much more flow now.
Honestly, I kinda eyeball it myself sometimes, but I started between a half cup to one cup a gallon, depending on how long I'm going to soak something. I use a heavier concentration for shorter baths and less when soaking over night.
I try to maximize the use of the solution, so I'll use it to clean buckets and other equipment whenever I make some up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back