When its "been awhile" since you deep cleaned

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been probably 2 years since I pulled apart the pumps in the back of my AIO and cleaned them/vacuumed the sump. Murdered about 20k vermetid snails and sucked a good 10 gallons of brown water that was HEAVILY saturated with detritus.

In short... here's a PSA to regularily clean your sump.

1000011639.jpg

1000011638.jpg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Watch your tank closely over the next few days. While the intent is obviously good, sometimes doing very deep cleaning like this can be counterproductive. For lack of a more scientific explanation, you basically disrupt the biological balance of the tank and things can take a turn for the worse.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your tank closely over the next few days. While the intent is obviously good, sometimes doing very deep cleaning like this can be counterproductive. For lack of a more scientific explanation, you basically disrupt the biological balance of the tank and things can take a turn for the worse.
Yes, I know. I actually did half 2 days ago, and half today in order to lessen the "shock" a little.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe... I was on the fence about removing the gunk in the bottom of the sump. However, Nitrates and Phosphates have been high and not really coming down much with water changes/LaCl. I thought I would see if getting rid of it would help. Had 40 nitrates and .36 phosphates before the change. Will try and test tomorrow to see how much they changed.

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean every month so I know what condition my equipment is in. The cleaner your equipment the less chance it will effect your tanks biom.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have to clean the pumps occasionally or they look like yours and some of my pumps are probably 30 years old. I don't have a sump but I do run a reverse undergravel filter and once I let it go for about 25 years before I lifted the plates to see what was growing under there.

A lot. :confounded-face: Then I let it sit there for another 15 years until I had to remove it to move here to my new house. I threw everything including the livestock in vats for the 6 hour move and I had to chisel off the growth.

I have a large DIY skimmer and when I moved here I figured I would clean it. I am not sure how long it ran before I cleaned it but it had to be at least 15 years maybe 20.

I don't even know how water ran through it because it was completely filled with tube worms and it is 4" wide and 5' tall so it probably wasn't working as well as it should have been. :thinking-face:

I had to chop out the tube worms with a broom stick handle and it made enough "crushed coral" to start a new tank. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

A few weeks ago I again cleaned it because it was 5 years since the last cleaning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back