Friendly Reminder - AIO baffles & Husbandry

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just a friendly reminder to clean the baffles of your AIO filtration!! The picture doesn’t do it justice, but man oh man is the water dirty.

I’ve noticed my return chamber draining into my display too quickly, and my ATO was trying to keep up which was 1. Overfilling my display and 2. Stressing me out about salinity.

I clean my chambers on a 6 week basis (when I change out my carbon). However, I’ve never gotten deep into the baffles. Typically I use a Turkey baster and just shoot some water in there and say good to go!

I purchased these flexible drain brushes off Amazon: https://a.co/d/7YYL5pb

And they were pulling out tons of detritus!

This may already be common knowledge, but I’m almost 2 years in and just realizing this

Happy reefing!

IMG_7569.jpeg

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm learning this now. My return chambers being clogged up and water level is rising in the chambers before that.

Is the metal in these brushes ok? I was worried about using them but maybe if we dispose of them after the first use?

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm learning this now. My return chambers being clogged up and water level is rising in the chambers before that.

Is the metal in these brushes ok? I was worried about using them but maybe if we dispose of them after the first use?
I don’t see why not, stainless steel. I’d just make sure to wash it off in tap water or RODI and let it dry out before putting it away!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back