Fritz Blue Box Salt.

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a problem with my magnesium. My tank reads 430 calcium 9.0 alkalinity but it reads 1600+ magnesium. So I mix up a fresh batch of water. I test the water before doing the water change. It tests at 430 calcium. 9.0 alkalinity. And 1600+ magnesium. Salinity 1.026. Temp 78. Has anyone had this same problem? Testing magnesium with redsea tester. Is it my salt or my tester? Or is there something else I’m missing. Please help thanks

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same salt - and I get similar figures, though my MAG is usually in the 1450 range.
Try stirring all the salt in the box before your next mix.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never use fritz again. DKH drops like a rock in the fresh mix after mixing for some time. After that whole video thing with Rico the fritz rep came out and said it shouldn't be mixed continuously yet nothing about that on the box. Mix was very dirty as well. Had been some time so maybe things have changed but that was my experience. Switched to tropic Marin pro and the mix couldn't be cleaner or more stable.

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of other salt mixes with good reputations? I have a thing of the blue Fritz mix, but if people have issues I would want to switch.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero issues With RPM Blue.

I mix for 2 hours at roughly 70deg., add a heater for 15-20 mins to match my tank temp and salinity. I find it mixes very cleanly, with little to know precip (not heating in the beginning is key to this, and most salt mixing), my ALK basically matches my average for the tank 8.5 +/- .1-.2 which is my desired level. Hopefully my next box yields the same results, but at 10% 2-3 week water changes… might be next year till I have to worry about it… at that point- there will be some new ALL 4 SALT crazeeeee that Ill get roped into :) so who knows what the future holds!!?

For me , the only thing I look for in salts are those that state a mixed value of ALK close to the range I want to keep my reef. This is more important for those who rely on water changes vs. Dosing to replenish stripped elements. But the reality is at 10% changes… it would take a very low/high figure to actually fluctuate any parameter to an undesirable level.

Back