Fritz monster 460 or 460

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use fritz monster 460 or fritz 460? Would it lower nitrates with time? I understand the basics of what it's supposed to do. Will it cause bacterial bloom? Tanks 1 year old.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I haven't noticed any nitrate reduction, no. No bacterial blooms that I've seen.
I'm just looking at it like this. If used as maintenance and it's breaking down all organics once most of that is broken down and kept using it nitrates would start to go lower with time. Does that makes sense or am i looking at it too hard

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just looking at it like this. If used as maintenance and it's breaking down all organics once most of that is broken down and kept using it nitrates would start to go lower with time. Does that makes sense or am i looking at it too hard
I just use it semi-periodically (maybe once every 1-2 months) as a general purpose "cleaner" to get the areas of the tank I can't reach.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can lower nitrates or at least prevent less nitrate from accumulating (I don't know the details of how exactly they function but I get the general idea). You won't get a bloom unless you overdose or have some serious issues with decaying matter in the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just clarifying, it certainly will not reduce "all" organics (some any even rise), but the nitrate effect is unclear. It seems to me if it is breaking down organics overall, it will increase nitrate, and then once the metabolizable organic load is reduced (if it is), the nitrate will return to normal or maybe be lower.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use it semi-periodically (maybe once every 1-2 months) as a general purpose "cleaner" to get the areas of the tank I can't reach.

Do you see a visible effect on accumulating organics?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just clarifying, it certainly will not reduce "all" organics (some any even rise), but the nitrate effect is unclear. It seems to me if it is breaking down organics overall, it will increase nitrate, and then once the metabolizable organic load is reduced (if it is), the nitrate will return to normal or maybe be lower.

My presumption of how it works is similar to carbon dosing but this is adding the bacteria to implement nitrate and phosphate into their bodies. Maybe there is organic carbon in them (I think @Dan_P found this in waste away?). This in simple terms would make sense (i.e. some bacteria and organic carbon in a bottle to lower nitrate and phosphate). Again, different brand, but the same type of product is seemingly sold by multiple companies (I say "seemingly" as it could be different bacterial species). I also know that with waste away, Dr Tim's stated it could be used to seed biopellets, so maybe that might help narrow down the bacteria in that product, and possibly what bacterial species are being used in fritz's product. I might email fritz to ask what species they use (and email Dr. Tims). That might help with clarifying how these products "lower nitrate."

Again, a lot of this is simply me guessing, but I figured I'd throw this out there

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see a visible effect on accumulating organics?
Yes, I do notice that the glass is marginally cleaner after each use (requiring less scraping) and that there seems to be less overall debris, etc. in the sand bed. It doesn't break down anything like coralline algae on the glass, though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My presumption of how it works is similar to carbon dosing but this is adding the bacteria to implement nitrate and phosphate into their bodies. Maybe there is organic carbon in them (I think @Dan_P found this in waste away?). This in simple terms would make sense (i.e. some bacteria and organic carbon in a bottle to lower nitrate and phosphate). Again, different brand, but the same type of product is seemingly sold by multiple companies (I say "seemingly" as it could be different bacterial species). I also know that with waste away, Dr Tim's stated it could be used to seed biopellets, so maybe that might help narrow down the bacteria in that product, and possibly what bacterial species are being used in fritz's product. I might email fritz to ask what species they use (and email Dr. Tims). That might help with clarifying how these products "lower nitrate."

Again, a lot of this is simply me guessing, but I figured I'd throw this out there

Perhaps, but it is important that organic carbon dosing is dosing organic molecules that do not have N or P in them, so they must get it from the water. Random natural molecules have lots of N and P (e.g., proteins have loads of N, phospholipids have N and P, etc.) which is why organisms largely consuming organics (like people do) actually excrete N and P rather than need to absorb more.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@taricha found interesting things about WasteAway medium

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read that long thread. That was interesting to say the least haha
Yeah, he’s got persistence, he’s mastered delayed gratification, and is extremely interested in how stuff works :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back