Fritz RPM and high Mg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed high Mg using Fritz (blue box) but more concerning to me is inconsistent alk. When I started using their salt (about 3 boxes ago) it always mixed up to around 8.5 alk, perfect for me. More recently it's mixed up higher - 9.2 - 9.5, mixing to a SG of 1.025. Then a day or 2 after a 15% water change I'll see my alk drop. (This could be user error, I may have heated the water too much before mixing. I guess).

I won a box of a different brand salt in a raffle, looking forward to trying it out. I still have 2 1/2 boxes of RPM in the basement though.

I can't imagine mixing an entire 200gal box at a time. I don't have a trash can that big! I mix 15-20 gal every other week.

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have had a similar experience with Fritz as well. Its only happened once a few months back with a bucket that had excessive mag that came in at over 1600ppm. I thought at first that my test kit was faulty so I ordered new test kits. Red Sea & Salifert both showed over 1600. My tank was fine though and I did not have any negative effects that I could see. I still use Fritz to this day for one of my tanks.

I am done with them. They manufacture the salt out of spec and then infer that the user has bad test kits or a refractometer that is not properly calibrated, neither of which was true. Those that think it would make a difference to mix the entire bag I offer this advice to Fritz...If that is the case than put it in the instructions AND only sell your product with smaller bags. I personally don't think it does make a difference. I have gone through 5 boxes and this is the first one with high Mg.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an issue with this some time ago (high calcium, really high magnesium) with some batch(s) of Fritz. It's been quite some time though since I've seen any reports similar to this, maybe 6 months give or take? I had 2 boxes with similar parameters that you experienced, but since then it has been spot on again. I wonder if your box was from that/those batches?

Here's a thread on it, starting with the last post on page 6...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switched-to-fritz-rpm-salt.282493/page-6

Oh and I agree, $11 extra for the 4 bags seems a bit much! I still use it and my tank does well with it, but will only buy the single bag box. I've been using the higher alk version of late and tests spot on. Fwiw

Last edited:

swvahawker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting a dead thread... but fwiw I recently mixed up a big water change (50%) from a fresh box of fritz and it sent my ca from 1400 to 1510 and my mag from 1435 to 1515. Tests were done by a trident that was calibrated 2 weeks prior.
I’ll be switching salts.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back