Frogfish help

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a painted frogfish (Antennarius pictus i believe) that i got on Saturday (5 days ago) I fed him a feeder fish on Sunday because the fish store had him on an every other day diet so i thought it would be best if i was consistent. He ate it with no problems. Then on Monday i noticed when i would clean the glass with the algae scrapper he would walk towards it/ lunge at it like he wanted to eat it. So the next day i tried to get him on frozen since ive heard having frogfish on freshwater isn't such a good thing. So i took some string and a piece of shrimp and tied them together. When i put it in the tank the fish immediately went for it however the piece was to big and i accidentally tied the string to tight. It was about half way in his mouth and was there for maybe 2 seconds but in that time i lifted the string up and he let go of it. Okay lesson learned. Then i put a way smaller piece on and just poked a hole through the shrimp and put the string thought it (no knots this time). When i put it back in the tank he had no interest at all. So i thought maybe i injured him a little and he just needed time to settle down. The next day i tried it again (Tuesday). No interest again. I tried again today with no luck. So i put in a feeder fish again and he looked interested but did not bite at it. But for the past 2 days he has had his lure out so i know hes hungry.
So first question is how do i feed him now. Just keep tying? feeder stick maybe?
Second question is how long can they go without food? hes about 1.5 inchs right now if that makes a difference.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you've injured him... maybe his pride :)

Struggling prey items is hardly a rarity in the sea.

I'd suggest live prey items such as ghost shrimp, and I'd get 'em ordered NOW. Overnight, soonest.

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding mine small crayfish to fatten him up before I try to switch him over to frozen. The first crayfish I gave him pinched him, and kept holding on till he was swallowed. He happily ate another one, though he was more cautious of the claws. From what I have seen, it is recommended to feed juveniles every 2-3 days, and adults every 4 days. I would follow the advice given by the above members.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They learn quick to what's dead, he's just not interested anymore. I wouldn't be so quick to train him to eat from a stick. I've found once they are eating a dead only diet, they don't live that long and basically turn into an ornament that eats. You'll never see his interesting and fascinating personality if you feed him dead food. Live mollies would be the best choice for a painted: size appropriate, a couple of small ones is better than a larger one. Ghost shrimp are good for smaller ones. Once my painted marched down from the side of a rock, took the dead food off the stick and spit it at me defiantly, then climbed back up the rock.

OP
OP
Tiwo

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys! I ended up getting some ghost shrimp today and he ate them. He didn't eat for 5 days so if he has his lure out tomorrow i might feed another small ghost shrimp but we will see.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back