Frogspawn behaving strange

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this frogspawn/octospawn for years, and it’s starting to behave strange. It’s receeded back into the skeleton on the mature heads but the new growth is happy, and this behavior is more so during the mid-day high light and less so during the low light periods, but never fully extended like it used to be.

The change in behavior coincided some fragging out of the tank I recently did. As a result, my nutrients bottomed out but I recovered it back to normal relatively quickly. Nothing else in the tank is looking abnormal, so I’m not sure if I should just let it ride or try to intervene. Any suggestions?

IMG_3040.jpeg IMG_3041.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for euphyllia eating flatworms.

Also how long has this been going on? What are exact parameters. Did you frag a zoa/leather? If so are you running carbon? What about fish, can something be picking at it? Do you manually dose? Alk and calcium swings from manual dosing can upset corals if the swing is large enough

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for euphyllia eating flatworms.

Also how long has this been going on? What are exact parameters. Did you frag a zoa/leather? If so are you running carbon?
Hey thanks for the help. I’ll investigate the flatworms, never looked into that before.

I did not frag either of those but I did tick off a zoa that broke off and stuck itself to my lobo, so maybe it released something while I was manhandling it? And I’m not running carbon.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the help. I’ll investigate the flatworms, never looked into that before.

I did not frag either of those but I did tick off a zoa that broke off and stuck itself to my lobo, so maybe it released something while I was manhandling it? And I’m not running carbon.
If it's really close to the frogspawn than palytoxin can upset them, how long ago was that? Usually water changes and biological processes will remove that eventually

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also did edit first reply, any answers to those questions?

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish issues that I can tell, and I have a Trident/DOS so no swings that I’ve noticed. It’s been two weeks since it started behaving like this.

When I messed with that zoa it was fairly close but my flow is pretty high and I’ve had 2 water changes since then so I’d think that’d be out of the system by now.

I’ll investigate the flatworms. Never even looked for them before.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some research on EEFW and most places said a melanarus wrasse should help, which I have. I'm considering pulling it and dipping it just to be safe.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those dark brown spots look like EEFW to you? I saw classic ones large flatworm spaced ones online, which this doesn’t look like, but I also read sometimes you think there’s purplish coralline growing on your coral and it’s actually EEFW, which this looks like to me.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.jpeg
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3048.jpeg
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3049.jpeg
    IMG_3049.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 28

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those dark brown spots look like EEFW to you? I saw classic ones large flatworm spaced ones online, which this doesn’t look like, but I also read sometimes you think there’s purplish coralline growing on your coral and it’s actually EEFW, which this looks like to me.
Those, especially the second image, look like them. Try dipping the coral and see if they come off. If they do it's definitely EEFW

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those, especially the second image, look like them. Try dipping the coral and see if they come off. If they do it's definitely EEFW
Okay, I’ll give them a dip tonight and see what happens and report back. Should I turkey baste or use a toothbrush or anything? Or just let them sit in the dip?

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped everything. No EEFW, but I did notice every one had at least 1 Asterina starfish on the rim of the flesh of the euphyllia. Could that have something to do with the irritation?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped everything. No EEFW, but I did notice every one had at least 1 Asterina starfish on the rim of the flesh of the euphyllia. Could that have something to do with the irritation?
While they are sometimes known to eat coral I don't think so and i think its strictly zoas, was it normal Asterina color?

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just plain white as far as I could tell. Nothing else abnormal on the skeleton or flesh that I noticed. Maybe it was just the phosphate bottoming and it needs time to bounce back. I just didn’t want it to be something that required my immediate action and wait around hoping for a rebound while it died.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back