Frogspawn coral issue

lasithawicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my frogspawn coral Started to have an issue recently. A part of the skeleton exposed when the lights go off. My torch has retracted since few weeks. Even after dipping in coral Rx, no pests were found. My cleaner shrimp is nipping at the exposed area too.
My parameters are pretty much stable and as follows

kH - 7.4
Mg - 1500
Ca - 430
Po4- 0.1
No3- 2.5
PH- 8
Salinity- 1.025
Temp - 26

I didn’t dip the frogspawn as yet. Don’t know whether this is a pest issue or cos of water chemistry. I do a 20% water change once or twice a month. And feed corals 2-3 times a week with AB+ and reefroids. Can someone tell me what to check or do to overcome this? Thanks.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos? And did u acclimate the coral? Frogspawn are kind of like hammers they like light to medium flow and light to medium lighting. To much flow will tear and rip it's flesh.

OP
OP
lasithawicks

lasithawicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photos? And did u acclimate the coral? Frogspawn are kind of like hammers they like light to medium flow and light to medium lighting. To much flow will tear and rip it's flesh.
Both of the corals were with me for nearly a year and doing fine. Attached is the current status of the torch

Attachments

• 7470A6B6-4D7E-40B5-9BE3-05A863FD2691.jpeg
    7470A6B6-4D7E-40B5-9BE3-05A863FD2691.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 84

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of algae in the pic, it indicates the tank is not matured yet and still imbalanced.

how old is the tank and how long have you had corals?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is lots of algae, and your zoa's are closed. There is something wrong with the tank to be like that at year and half old. You cannot just fix just one coral at this point, you need to get your tank and parameters under control.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of 30% water changes a day or two apart are always a good emergency measure.

Patrick Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lol when people say you can rip the flesh off with flow. Like yeah only if it's sitting right in front of a powerhead. But I have this happen occasionally. Could be overfeeding (rot gut), too little flow. Or recently discovered bacteria that live inside Euphyllia. Sometimes it takes it along time to affect the coral. Iodine dip wouldn't hurt. But medicating it is probably the best option if it's worth that to you.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lol when people say you can rip the flesh off with flow. Like yeah only if it's sitting right in front of a powerhead
No one says "you can rip the flesh OFF with flow". The issue is that as the coral inflates and deflates, too much flow can cause the flesh to be pushed against the sharp septa in a way that makes SMALL TEARS, which can then become infected.

OP
OP
lasithawicks

lasithawicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lol when people say you can rip the flesh off with flow. Like yeah only if it's sitting right in front of a powerhead. But I have this happen occasionally. Could be overfeeding (rot gut), too little flow. Or recently discovered bacteria that live inside Euphyllia. Sometimes it takes it along time to affect the coral. Iodine dip wouldn't hurt. But medicating it is probably the best option if it's worth that to you.
Thinking of an iodine dip as the last resort. Even I tried talking to local LFS guys but no one had a proper answer. All suggestions only. Let’s see how iodine works or not. Will keep you posted on the progress (hopefully). Btw what’s the dilution ratio of iodine?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of an iodine dip as the last resort. Even I tried talking to local LFS guys but no one had a proper answer. All suggestions only. Let’s see how iodine works or not. Will keep you posted on the progress (hopefully). Btw what’s the dilution ratio of iodine?
Iodine is used as an antiseptic and *can* help prevent an infection.
The general rule of thumb is to add a few drops to a container of tank water until it's the color of tea. I usually dip euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia for 15-20 minutes and then rinse in another container of tank water before returning it to the aquarium.

*I wouldn't consider it a last resort at all. Other than the fact that the less you disturb the coral the better, an iodine dip is well tolerated and can prevent problems if done early.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might also be a helpful resource...

Patrick Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's no exact dosing instructions with the lugols wich is what I use. I try about 6 or 8 drops per 2 cups.
No one says "you can rip the flesh OFF with flow". The issue is that as the coral inflates and deflates, too much flow can cause the flesh to be pushed against the sharp septa in a way that makes SMALL TEARS, which can

Patrick Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one says "you can rip the flesh OFF with flow". The issue is that as the coral inflates and deflates, too much flow can cause the flesh to be pushed against the sharp septa in a way that makes SMALL TEARS, which can then become infected.
That's kind of a generic answer. I've been in the hobby since 1997. I still have yet to see this unless you buy or get sent one that's not healthy already. If it's been in a tank for awhile. This isn't the issue.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like my frogspawn coral Started to have an issue recently. A part of the skeleton exposed when the lights go off. My torch has retracted since few weeks. Even after dipping in coral Rx, no pests were found. My cleaner shrimp is nipping at the exposed area too.
My parameters are pretty much stable and as follows

kH - 7.4
Mg - 1500
Ca - 430
Po4- 0.1
No3- 2.5
PH- 8
Salinity- 1.025
Temp - 26

I didn’t dip the frogspawn as yet. Don’t know whether this is a pest issue or cos of water chemistry. I do a 20% water change once or twice a month. And feed corals 2-3 times a week with AB+ and reefroids. Can someone tell me what to check or do to overcome this? Thanks.
I always dip new corals, even if they came from a clean system, so I'd first start with that. I also think your alk is relatively low in my opinion, but obviously everyone's systems are different but I'd aim for above 8 at least. Your corals are most likely using up a lot of alk so I'd dose it if you notice you can sustain it with water changes alone.

Also like you said make sure none of the CUC are irritating the coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back