Frogspawn coral struggling

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Monday I got a frogspawn coral, my first LPS. This morning I noticed a lack of polyp extension. Ok, not the first coral to not like this particular spot in the tank (I suspect low PAR), let’s watch it. Fast forward to just now, it’s the most shrunken, pathetic euphyllia I’ve ever seen, and little bits of tissue drift off when it’s disturbed. I’ve moved it to a different part of the tank, but want to know if it’s already too far gone.
Water parameters:
pH: 8.1
Alk (dKH): EDIT: 9.7, not 8.8
NO3 (ppm): 5.00, not over 5, just 5
PO4 (ppm): .66
Mag (ppm): don’t have a tester
Calcium (ppm): 451
Salinity (SG): 1.025

image.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So Monday I got a frogspawn coral, my first LPS. This morning I noticed a lack of polyp extension. Ok, not the first coral to not like this particular spot in the tank (I suspect low PAR), let’s watch it. Fast forward to just now, it’s the most shrunken, pathetic euphyllia I’ve ever seen, and little bits of tissue drift off when it’s disturbed. I’ve moved it to a different part of the tank, but want to know if it’s already too far gone.
Water parameters:
pH: 8.1
Alk (dKH): 8.8
NO3 (ppm): 5.00, not over 5, just 5
PO4 (ppm): .66
Mag (ppm): don’t have a tester
Calcium (ppm): 451
Salinity (SG): 1.025

image.jpg
You have polyp bailout on one stem often caused by stress. Often stress factors are low calcium (less than 380) for skeletal health as well as too much light, flow or both. While these coral are not picky about location, lower third seems best where they can get adequate light and water flow. Feeding powdered foods often does not satisfy them- I feed mine mysis shrimp. You want them swaying in the flow and NOT bent over their skeletons or bouncing vigorously .

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t polyp bailout when the entire polyp detaches from the skeleton? The one polyp currently on it is the only polyp it’s ever had.
I had it in the lower third originally and was feeding it brine shrimp. It was swaying very gently in the current

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed it and changed the carbon in case there’s something in the water (not likely but something that needed to be done anyway). Still deteriorating. Anything I can do to help it? Or do I just have to wait and see what happens?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Isn’t polyp bailout when the entire polyp detaches from the skeleton? The one polyp currently on it is the only polyp it’s ever had.
I had it in the lower third originally and was feeding it brine shrimp. It was swaying very gently in the current
Just looked on my PC monitor as the left side appeared to be bailout but i see is skeleton. Best to post pics under white lighting. Wait to see how it fares after carbon in case any low level toxins are present especially if any leather corals are present. The fluval bar may noy have adequate PAR and may need to be supplemented with a BAR such as Reef Brite 50/50 or Orphek OR3 Sky Blue

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that .66ppm correct?
Not much would be happy at that level.
Maybe 0.06ppm?

In addition, you need to have MG tested, lower end MG, none of the “E” type corals will like much.

I find they all puff up better when MG is say 1400-1450ppm.

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed it and changed the carbon in case there’s something in the water (not likely but something that needed to be done anyway). Still deteriorating. Anything I can do to help it? Or do I just have to wait and see what happens?
I’ll add to other’s comments, I would not attempt to feed any coral that is retracted. The coral will likely slough the food off and result in both wasted food and elevated levels of NO3/PO4.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of the test so you can see the results for yourself. Does anyone know if pellets are more nutrient dense than flakes? Because I recently started feeding pellets and then my nutrients spiked. Also, would testing right after feeding give a “false” high result?

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 15

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is unfortunately a goner. But they can surprise you with how tough they are over time. Don't fiddle with it. ANY stress you add is bad. If it dies, it would be ok to leave the skeleton in place for a while and see if it "came back". That is not unheard of.

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed brine shrimp, the fish will eat any leftovers
What I meant by my previous comment was that spraying food on an already retracted coral is likely going to irritate the coral further. Totally fine to give the fish some food but I personally wouldn’t disturb the coral by giving it food in its current state.

Edit: I had some issues with my frogspawn earlier this year, I thought it was on its way out as it was regularly expelling zooxanthellae over a few weeks. I took a step back and looked at my entire system - made some changes to my lighting and flow, it has since bounced back. I did not disturb the coral during this time or its location in the tank, I just left it be as disturbing it would likely have made things worse.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking worse… I don’t think it will survive the night
You were sold a VERY unhealthy coral. It might survive, but if not, it's likely not anything that you did or didn't do. Healthy fimbriaphyllia (frogspawn and hammer corals are not euphyllia) have flesh growing down the skeleton "stem". Yours looks like it has been declining for a while.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were sold a VERY unhealthy coral. It might survive, but if not, it's likely not anything that you did or didn't do. Healthy fimbriaphyllia (frogspawn and hammer corals are not euphyllia) have flesh growing down the skeleton "stem". Yours looks like it has been declining for a while.
Definitely no flesh on the stem. I wonder what wholesaler sold that to my LFS, because they received that coral the day I bought it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back