Frogspawn Loosing tissue slowly (Necrosis?)

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My frogspawn has slowly been loosing tissue for about a week now. It looses a couple polyps each day. Most of the coral is very healthy and it’s only on one side but it seems to be spreading. All my other corals are fine. I’ll list parameters and pics below. (Pics were taken at night but you can still see the new white skeleton and flesh falling off) Is there anything I can do? Should I dip in Coral RX?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 8.1
Salinity: 1.026
Calcium: 380 ppm
Alkalinity: 11.8 dKH
Magnesium: 1260 ppm
Phosphate: 0.05 ppm

IMG_1339.jpeg IMG_1340.jpeg

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you. Mine did exactly the same a while ago with similar parameters. Once it started, there was no stopping it. It completely died off in a matter of 7 days. All the other corals were and are fine.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a wall frogspawn (euphyllia divisa) so they are harder to keep and have very low success rates. I'd say try the dip, unfortunately it's dying and right now there is nothing to loose.

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you. Mine did exactly the same a while ago with similar parameters. Once it started, there was no stopping it. It completely died off in a matter of 7 days. All the other corals were and are fine.
Thanks for the quick response! So there’s no hope huh? Well there goes $80 down the drain

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a wall frogspawn (euphyllia divisa) so they are harder to keep and have very low success rates. I'd say try the dip, unfortunately it's dying and right now there is nothing to loose.
I heard that wall hammers are harder to keep and susceptible to infections. I guess it make sense that applies to wall frogspawn too. I don’t wanna stress it out more but I hate just watching it die.

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While yours looks a bit too far gone imo. I've previously brought back sad looking frogspawn by maintaining magnesium at 1500 and dipping every day for a week in an iodine based dip. Best of luck

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calcium and mag are low, and alk is very high. How long have you had it? How old is the tank? What kind of lighting and flow?

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calcium and mag are low, and alk is very high. How long have you had it? How old is the tank? What kind of lighting and flow?
I’ve had it for about 3 weeks now. Was doing great the first 2 weeks. I’ve been dosing calc and mag and been trying to lower my Alk with water changes. It’s at the bottom of my tank so it gets med/low light (maybe 100 par) and low flow.

Nibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I’ve had it for about 3 weeks now. Was doing great the first 2 weeks. I’ve been dosing calc and mag and been trying to lower my Alk with water changes. It’s at the bottom of my tank so it gets med/low light (maybe 100 par) and low flow.
Honestly wouldn't worry too much about bringing down the alk too much it's really not that high my tank sits at 11 and it's doing great. Stability would be better than anything. Bring the mag up to 1500 by increasing 100 per day. Dip the coral daily and make sure it's a iodine dip as your wanting to stop bacterial growth which will cause bjd ect

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look up the KFC dip, its worth the try but its a hassle. I have saved many LPS with it. I own one nice size wall frogspawn and its doing good but I say stay away from walls. You can get lucky but most of them die in the long run

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT DIP!!! It maybe shocked to the dkh or salinity if it came from a low Dhk or salinity tank. But high par with high dhk and salinity with those low nutrients maybe prob! Don’t try to change nothing fast, try raising the mag and nitrates slowly to match that high salinity. Or lower the salinity to 1.024 to match your parameters if you have low par! Don’t dip it’ll make things worse! Adjust slowly and don’t move it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back