LT Anemone Help

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So I bought a LT anemone yesterday and I drop acclimated very slowly and added it to my tank. I read online that it likes to dig into 3”-4” of substrate so I made a hole in my fine sand and attempted to settle it in there but it had other plans. It puffed up perfectly and looks healthy but rolled around my aquarium all night and now it has wedged itself between the back of my rock aqua scape and the glass. I can barely see it and though it looks healthy, it looks to be excreting good which I know is not a good sign. I also woke up to a full skimmer which makes me think it’s excreted a lot of stuff. I’ll list my parameters below. Everything else in the tank seems fine. Should I move it? Let it do its thing? Is there anything I can do?

30 gallon, Med Flow, LPS dominated tank.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 1.00 ppm
pH: 8.1
Salinity: 1.026
Calcium: 380 ppm
Alkalinity: 10.9 dKH
Magnesium: 1220 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm

image.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they don’t stick, that’s an issue. The foot should easily stick when no or low flow.

Looks bleached. If true, that’s problematic. Some can come back.

As long as he’s in one piece, just watch, definitely don’t feed, or move or make any changes for awhile.

If he starts to come apart, discard.

You post zero phosphate, zero is a bad number, bump to .1ppm.

Nitrate to, bump to 5-10ppm.

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they don’t stick, that’s an issue. The foot should easily stick when no or low flow.

Looks bleached. If true, that’s problematic. Some can come back.

As long as he’s in one piece, just watch, definitely don’t feed, or move or make any changes for awhile.

If he starts to come apart, discard.

You post zero phosphate, zero is a bad number, bump to .1ppm.

Nitrate to, bump to 5-10ppm.
Okay, thanks for the advice. I don’t think she bleached bc he’s the same color and the foot is still red/orange. But I agree, there’s def a problem. I’ll leave it alone and bump up those numbers.

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the advice. I don’t think she bleached bc he’s the same color and the foot is still red/orange. But I agree, there’s def a problem. I’ll leave him alone and bump up those numbers.
Yup, she may not, some are white as normal.
Best to let her settle.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about keeping a LTA as I've only had this one for the last 3 years( a sand dwelling anemone in a bare bottom tank, oh the humanity). With that said if they don't attach their foot is damaged from being collected and they WILL die. If ANY anemone is bleached the BEST thing to do is feed them until they grow back their zooxanthellae.
IMG_0434.JPG

OP
OP
M

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about keeping a LTA as I've only had this one for the last 3 years( a sand dwelling anemone in a bare bottom tank, oh the humanity). With that said if they don't attach their foot is damaged from being collected and they WILL die. If ANY anemone is bleached the BEST thing to do is feed them until they grow back their zooxanthellae.
IMG_0434.JPG
wow! impressive monster. I think the foot on mine is fine because it's sticking to the glass and i don't see any cuts or anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back