Alk Hanna checker issue

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just recently got a Hanna checker for alkalinity and I’m a little frustrated at the moment because every time I check my alkalinity it keeps reading at 20.0 dkh. I just got it yesterday I tested twice and got 20.0 dkh. I gave it another day which is today to test again and I’m getting the same reading. I’m just frustrated cause I feel like I’m going through this vial of reagent considering I just got the kit and it’s a bit annoying how I might have to try a new reagent or as I read online buy a calibration fluid for the checker. I wanna see what advice anyone one has on this, like whether I should get a calibration fluid or a new bottle of reagent see if that helps. Reagent is still fine btw exp 07/2024. Do you think it could be possible for alk to be above that range? My other parameters as follows

Ammonia-0 ppm
Nitrites-0 ppm
Nitrates-5 ppm
Ph-7.5
Phosphate- 0.52 ppm
Magnesium- 1095 ppm
Calcium - 380 ppm
Salinity- 1.027 sg

Right now I’m trying to find the right amount of dosing for my tank. It’s a 15gal fluval flex. I know magnesium, calcium and ph are too low. Magnesium and calcium tend to fluctuate daily, so I’m slowly increasing dosage to find the right amount. Meanwhile I’m struggling with ph even after using 2 part. And I know phosphate is high but I also know the cause of it. I’m for surely feeding corals too much with reefroid mixed with Red Sea ab+ so I’m cutting down feeding. Recently did a 15% water change and will follow up on another water change sometimes next week and will check to see if phosphate has decreased.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried testing some fresh mixed water to see if you get a different reading? It sounds like a reagent issue but I've never had a problem other than one bottle maybe reading a couple of points different from another. I like to keep a second test kit just in case I get an unexpected reading on my Hanna. I use the second test just for verification purpose.

BuddhaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for a tank that size, you could/should be able to maintain values with just water changes. As for measuring the Alk, are you measuring the 10ml, or filling to the line? Are you measuring the bottom of the meniscus? Are you using the provided tip for the 1ml syringe?

Which checker do you have?
And when I see people say they have swings with magnesium or calcium, first I ask how they are tested. The next question is, how are you controlling your salinity?

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried testing some fresh mixed water to see if you get a different reading? It sounds like a reagent issue but I've never had a problem other than one bottle maybe reading a couple of points different from another. I like to keep a second test kit just in case I get an unexpected reading on my Hanna. I use the second test just for verification purpose.
I didn’t even think about testing a fresh mix, I’ll probably test that later today. I’m going to my lfs today to see if they sell Hanna reagents and to pick up another alk test kit to compare readings.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for a tank that size, you could/should be able to maintain values with just water changes. As for measuring the Alk, are you measuring the 10ml, or filling to the line? Are you measuring the bottom of the meniscus? Are you using the provided tip for the 1ml syringe?

Which checker do you have?
And when I see people say they have swings with magnesium or calcium, first I ask how they are tested. The next question is, how are you controlling your salinity?
I’m filling to the line. I am measuring the bottom of the meniscus which usually is right at the line. I am using the 1ml syringe with the provided tip. I have the Hanna H1772 alkalinity dhk.

As far as magnesium and calcium, I use the magnesium Hanna checker and for calcium I’m currently using the API calcium kit. Salinity I just have one of those gravity feed water bottle attachments. I didn’t find the need to have an expensive ato considering it’s such a small tank.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kenojrg if you look at the Hanna directions, I think a 20.0 reading means it’s over range. So either the testing isn’t being done right or your Alk is super high. Fwiw I stopped using my Hanna checker because of reagent drift issues. I switched to a very simple Salifert titration test.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even think about testing a fresh mix, I’ll probably test that later today. I’m going to my lfs today to see if they sell Hanna reagents and to pick up another alk test kit to compare readings.
Maybe they can test your alk for you while are your there?
I’m filling to the line. I am measuring the bottom of the meniscus which usually is right at the line.
I stopped using the marks on the vials and started using a 10ml syringe. I use the same syringe for all the test. I've seen some differences in the marks on the vials. I think using the 10ml syringe helps with more consistent results with less chance of error and consistency is key. I don't think a small variance in the 10ml is your problem. I'm just mentioning this because I have 9 vials and I don't think I have one that 10ml is right at the bottom of the mark.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kenojrg if you look at the Hanna directions, I think a 20.0 reading means it’s over range. So either the testing isn’t being done right or your Alk is super high. Fwiw I stopped using my Hanna checker because of reagent drift issues. I switched to a very simple Salifert titration test.
Yeah I was wondering if my alk was also out of range I just don’t know if it was possible. But the manager at the lfs I go to recommended another test kit (api alkalinity) told me to try it out cause if it gives me a lesser reading then there’s deff something wrong with my Hanna checker.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they can test your alk for you while are your there?

I stopped using the marks on the vials and started using a 10ml syringe. I use the same syringe for all the test. I've seen some differences in the marks on the vials. I think using the 10ml syringe helps with more consistent results with less chance of error and consistency is key. I don't think a small variance in the 10ml is your problem. I'm just mentioning this because I have 9 vials and I don't think I have one that 10ml is right at the bottom of the mark.
I ended up just getting a different alk kit, so will be testing it later today to see where it’s at. Could be an issue with the Hanna checker or my alk could be out or range. And thanks for the advice I’ll most likely start measuring with a syringe than filling up to the line.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: so turns out alk is actually high in my tank. It was even off the charts on the api test. And this whole time I thought the Hanna checker wasn’t working properly cause I didn’t think alk could be that high. Any advice on how to lower it? Should I stop dosing 2 part in the meantime?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: so turns out alk is actually high in my tank. It was even off the charts on the api test. And this whole time I thought the Hanna checker wasn’t working properly cause I didn’t think alk could be that high. Any advice on how to lower it? Should I stop dosing 2 part in the meantime?
Yes stop the 2 part, or at least the alk part.

I am surprised you aren't seeing percipitation.

Have you verified your salinity? This might be an indicator it's high.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes stop the 2 part, or at least the alk part.

I am surprised you aren't seeing percipitation.

Have you verified your salinity? This might be an indicator it's high.
Yeah I checked salinity it’s at 1.027 sg been trying to lower it down by adding a little more freshwater during water changes.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I checked salinity it’s at 1.027 sg been trying to lower it down by adding a little more freshwater during water changes.
Oh that's no where near as bad as I thought it might be, but if your calc and mag aren't elevated it makes sense.

Have you tried dosing anything to raise your PH? That will definitely drive up alk.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's no where near as bad as I thought it might be, but if your calc and mag aren't elevated it makes sense.

Have you tried dosing anything to raise your PH? That will definitely drive up alk.
So I was mainly using 2 part. Yesterday when I tested my ph was at an 8, I’m assuming from adding saltwater to tank, because I had just gotten some fish and corals yesterday so I lost water from drip acclimating and coral dipping. But I mentioned low ph to the people helping me at my lfs and they gave me a product to raise ph without affecting calcium and alkalinity. Can’t think of the product at the moment but I can check what it is when I get home from work.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was mainly using 2 part. Yesterday when I tested my ph was at an 8, I’m assuming from adding saltwater to tank, because I had just gotten some fish and corals yesterday so I lost water from drip acclimating and coral dipping. But I mentioned low ph to the people helping me at my lfs and they gave me a product to raise ph without affecting calcium and alkalinity. Can’t think of the product at the moment but I can check what it is when I get home from work.
All products that raise PH raise alkalinity. There is no escape from that.

Someone should let your LFS know that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I mentioned low ph to the people helping me at my lfs and they gave me a product to raise ph without affecting calcium and alkalinity. Can’t think of the product at the moment but I can check what it is when I get home from work.

As noted above there is no such thing. It is simply chemically impossible.

Some products claim it, such as Brightwell Boost pH+, but it can only be due to one of two things:

1. Total ignorance on their part. They actually sell the same exact ingredient (hydroxide) in a different product (kalkwasser) and claim it boosts alk)

or

2. a scam designed to mislead reefers.

Neither gives one a reason to ever buy Brightwell products.

Their Boost pH+ nonsense:

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)

"Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base"

Their kalkwasser (has its own nonsense, but is correct about hydroxide adding alk):

" Calcium hydroxide is a caustic material;"
"Provides temporary alkalinity and helps maintain pH within the desired range when used as directed."

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you dosing 2 part without knowing your alk level? If so, never blind dose anything. What corals do you stock? What led you to decide you needed to dose at all?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few basic questions...
How old is the tank?
How much coral is there?
What is your source of fresh water that you're using to make salt water with?

My tap water is around 7-9 dKh, if I started with that and then added salt mix, instant ocean with ~10dKh, I'd be way high too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back