OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above there is no such thing. It is simply chemically impossible.

Some products claim it, such as Brightwell Boost pH+, but it can only be due to one of two things:

1. Total ignorance on their part. They actually sell the same exact ingredient (hydroxide) in a different product (kalkwasser) and claim it boosts alk)

or

2. a scam designed to mislead reefers.

Neither gives one a reason to ever buy Brightwell products.

Their Boost pH+ nonsense:

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)

"Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base"

Their kalkwasser (has its own nonsense, but is correct about hydroxide adding alk):

" Calcium hydroxide is a caustic material;"
"Provides temporary alkalinity and helps maintain pH within the desired range when used as directed."
It actually not a bright well product, it’s called balance by aquavitro. But I actually haven’t used it yet because I added saltwater to my tank after acclimating fish and using tank water to dip corals and my ph was back up to an 8.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you dosing 2 part without knowing your alk level? If so, never blind dose anything. What corals do you stock? What led you to decide you needed to dose at all?
Honestly yes. Being new to coral care I honestly thought that two part was a daily maintenance thing as when I was reading the bottle it said to dose daily. I did have a water testing kit thinking I had everything I needed to test water but after watching videos and learning more about corals I didn’t have anything to test alkalinity, magnesium and phosphate so I went and ordered the three Hanna checkers.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday when I tested my ph was at an 8, I’m assuming from adding saltwater to tank, because I had just gotten some fish and corals yesterday
pH at 8 is perfectly fine. IMO too many people focus on pH and cause other problems chasing a certain number.
I guess my main concern is why are you adding livestock while you have this issue with your water?

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few basic questions...
How old is the tank?
How much coral is there?
What is your source of fresh water that you're using to make salt water with?

My tap water is around 7-9 dKh, if I started with that and then added salt mix, instant ocean with ~10dKh, I'd be way high too.
The tank is now 7 months old. I’d say there’s a lot of corals in the tank. Mainly softies such as zoanthids and mushrooms and some lps. I do have 2 sps corals (I did not plan on getting sps as I heard they are harder to keep but they were sent to me as part of a mystery coral with my order) and im actually using premixed saltwater. I have an rodi filter in my basement which I use for fresh top off, as I also have a 90 gallon fowlr down there. So I do find it easier for me to just buy a 5 gallon premixed saltwater rather than lugging a bucket of water all the from the basement to the second floor of my house.

OP
OP
K

Kenojrg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH at 8 is perfectly fine. IMO too many people focus on pH and cause other problems chasing a certain number.
I guess my main concern is why are you adding livestock while you have this issue with your water?
Because I had actually ordered live stock prior to realizing the issue I was having. Hannah checkers came in, realized the issue I was having, but my coral/fish order was already placed by then (ordered mushrooms/zoas, cleaner goby and hermits). I keep a log book of my water parameters. My ph was sitting at an 8 up until Dec 3rd which was when I posted this thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back