Frogspawn dying?

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our frogspawn was doing great. We’ve had it for six months. It was growing. Now it’s retracted and appears to be dying. It looks like it has white peeling skin. Is there any way to save it? We’ve had issues with other corals recently too and cannot figure out what is wrong.

Salinity 1.025
PH 8.4
Alk 12.1
NO3 10ppm
Phos 0.095ppm
Mag 1250
Ca 443

We did have a drop in nitrates and phosphates for some time so I’m not sure if that was the cause. I’m about to give up on corals and just have a fish/nem tank.

IMG_7980.jpeg
IMG_7981.jpeg
IMG_7983.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a lot of sponge growing there, including where its mouth is, and also lots of those little tube worms. It might just be getting irritated at all the hitchhikers. But if you say that other corals are are struggling, then might be something going on. A tank pic will help.

Your alk is also much higher than "average", I think most keep within the 8-9 mark, very few have it as high as 12, so the coral might have trouble adjusting if coming from a tank with alk around 8 or 9.

OP
OP
TamaraC

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a lot of sponge growing there, including where its mouth is, and also lots of those little tube worms. It might just be getting irritated at all the hitchhikers. But if you say that other corals are are struggling, then might be something going on. A tank pic will help.

Your alk is also much higher than "average", I think most keep within the 8-9 mark, very few have it as high as 12, so the coral might have trouble adjusting if coming from a tank with alk around 8 or 9.
We’ve had the alk btw 11.5 - 12 for the last six months. Our Red Sea recipe calls for 11.5. We’ve had the frogspawn for six months too. It really looks like peeling skin. Like from a sunburn.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back