Frogspawn help

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frogspawn has been in my tank for over 2 months and it was very happy until a week and half ago. It has been retracting more and more, do anyone know whats going on with it. I have attached pistures of how it was vs how it is now, also attached my parameters.

VideoCapture_20240409-174859.jpg VideoCapture_20240409-174925.jpg 1712703375552748887690763595684.jpg 20240409_174709.jpg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frogspawn has been in my tank for over 2 months and it was very happy until a week and half ago. It has been retracting more and more, do anyone know whats going on with it. I have attached pistures of how it was vs how it is now, also attached my parameters.

VideoCapture_20240409-174859.jpg VideoCapture_20240409-174925.jpg 1712703375552748887690763595684.jpg 20240409_174709.jpg
Are you sure your calcium is really that high? If so, you may have more than just high calcium and there might be toxic levels of something in your tank. Would you be able to do multiple small water changes to get it down?

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your calcium is really that high? If so, you may have more than just high calcium and there might be toxic levels of something in your tank. Would you be able to do multiple small water changes to get it down?
I do weekly water changes and the fish store checks my water for me, and im also not dosing anything at all just water changes, I'll post a video of my tank everything else looks pretty healthy. I do 20 gallons water change a week.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really odd. Which salt mix do you use?
I don't mix my own water, i buy from the fish store. He sales coral for the most part, so im sure he is using good salt everything in his tanks look healthy

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank looks pretty healthy other then my frospawn, i really want to help my coral.

Attachments

• 20240409_182735.mp4
    64.4 MB

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mix my own water, i buy from the fish store. He sales coral for the most part, so im sure he is using good salt everything in his tanks look healthy
Makes sense. It must be testing error if that’s the case.

From your parameters, the phosphate is pretty high but I wouldn’t think that your frogspawn would be reacting quite that way.

How long ago did you move it from the sand? Do you know what the PAR readings are in the area where you have it?

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. It must be testing error if that’s the case.

From your parameters, the phosphate is pretty high but I wouldn’t think that your frogspawn would be reacting quite that way.

How long ago did you move it from the sand? Do you know what the PAR readings are in the area where you have it?
I do not know my par readings, and i have move it a leats 4 times now to different locations with flow and barely any flow but for some reason its just not happy, the fish store owner also said that my phosphate shouldn't cause it to retrieve like that and i don't have a algae problem either. Don't know what to do

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.56ppm phosphate in a new tank with light coral load.
Should be running 0.05-.1ppm in my mind.
My tank is 5 months old however, within 2 weeks it was cycled. I did use caribsea sand and all of my live rocks came from a mature tank. I don't know why my phosphate and calcium is so high. Doesn't seem to affect anything else.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 5 months old however, within 2 weeks it was cycled. I did use caribsea sand and all of my live rocks came from a mature tank. I don't know why my phosphate and calcium is so high. Doesn't seem to affect anything else.
If in fact your phosphate is .56ppm, it’s really not a good level to run and causes slow to no growth in some corals.

Now, if everyone is happy, perhaps phosphate is not .56ppm.

That number would be even high for me at 7 years mature and packed with corals.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in fact your phosphate is .56ppm, it’s really not a good level to run and causes slow to no growth in some corals.

Now, if everyone is happy, perhaps phosphate is not .56ppm.

That number would be even high for me at 7 years mature and packed with corals.
Im going to talk my fish store guor owner and see if he can calibrate his equipment thanks for the help. Now will hight phosphate cause that?

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.56ppm phosphate in a new tank with light coral load.
Should be running 0.05-.1ppm in my mind.
When my tank was in its first month, I had phosphates of around .50ppm and things were fine. It's been a struggle bringing it down, it's around .25-30ppm now. I'm trying to avoid GFO, don't want to zero it out. I know plenty of others who deal with higher phosphates.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was in its first month, I had phosphates of around .50ppm and things were fine. It's been a struggle bringing it down, it's around .25-30ppm now. I'm trying to avoid GFO, don't want to zero it out. I know plenty of others who deal with higher phosphates.
Thanks for the info, im trying PhosNet. To bring them down slowly if i can. My store was out of phosphates tests this week hopefully I'll test next week and see where i stand

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, im trying PhosNet. To bring them down slowly if i can. My store was out of phosphates tests this week hopefully I'll test next week and see where i stand
PhosNet should work fine, I currently use PhosGuard which is similar and does the same job. I have pretty much the same frogspawn I just put in this week.

I know mine was getting bothered by my flow at first, so I had to move my powerhead around. Have you changed your flow between that time? Or what kind of flow is it getting now?

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PhosNet should work fine, I currently use PhosGuard which is similar and does the same job. I have pretty much the same frogspawn I just put in this week.

I know mine was getting bothered by my flow at first, so I had to move my powerhead around. Have you changed your flow between that time? Or what kind of flow is it getting now?
Mine was always wide open and happy and not is all retracted, i was told that mi high phosphate will do that, flow was never a issue im sure because of how happy it was, now it receives just enough flow im starting to see it extending be little though but it seems that the phosnet might be working

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was always wide open and happy and not is all retracted, i was told that mi high phosphate will do that, flow was never a issue im sure because of how happy it was, now it receives just enough flow im starting to see it extending be little though but it seems that the phosnet might be working
That's good to hear! I would keep an eye on it!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back