frogspawn problem

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think my frogspawn got a little more beat up in the move than i realized. its been about 2 weeks now since my tank was set up.

and its a bit hard to see as i put it in the back, but seems like several heads are completely dead (2-4), and i saw one head completely covered in a brown jelly.

what should i do with this guys? cut the infected and dead heads off?

dip? put in more light/flow?

i really dont want to lose this, but i'm not too concerned yet b/c there is still about a dozen or more healthy heads left. but i definitely dont want this infection to spread to other corals.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would deff cut off the infected ones. That should stop it from spreading, I would also move them to mild flow mid tank. Check your water parameters it may be going tthru a mini cycle. Frogspawns are not goood with changes to water paramaters , there is always one or two head that die from shipping when i recieve them . JMO

Last edited:

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still having die off ,theni would find a friend to housed them for you. until your tank is ready

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my hammer took the move pretty harshly too everytime i had to do a transfer... even the slightest bump in the exoskeleton would cause it to jelly out. blow away the infected pieces. i was also told that they are very sensitive to nitrate

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

i seriously doubt its a mini cycle. there is no new water, all the water from my previous tank was completely transfered. the sand bed is new however, but i've never had a mini cycle with a new sand bed.

i havent tested nitrates, but i'm sure its zero. i've never had ANY nitrates since i've been in the hobby for 4 years. crazy huh?

i think i may just go and clip those heads off that are dead/infected. i think the dead heads are due to either being chipped, or being burried in the sand partially.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have heard,you should still expect some sort of a mini-cycle even when you use established water and rock and all... And no nitrates for 4 years! Amazing! I would test parameters, especially nitrates and see where you stand

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just tested, 0 NH3, 0 NO2, 0 NO3, 0 PO4

i use salifert kits, and yeah, i've never tested anything above zero for any of those in my tanks since i've started using salifert kits about 8mos into my first year in the hobby.

i know they give good results, as i've tested them on other people's tanks and seen some non-zero results.

i think one of the reasons i never see any cycling is due to i always use aragalive sand.

and i would expect to see my acros upset before any of my other corals.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back