Frogspawn recessing.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Receeding. Apparently my phone wanted it to be playful... Can't change title.

Too much light? Not enough? Where are we at. I thought they shrunk due to excessive par, but it's looking faded now. Photo is true to IRL.

Hammers in same location are going bonkers with full extension and new heads. This little guy is just slowly shrinking. Been on the sand bed for weeks. Tried a couple different places for flow, even spent a week directly under a frammer, literally shaded by it.

DFFEE3F2-BC13-4957-9993-B33435321731.jpeg

I know my nutrients are low <5 nitrate, but since the others are doing well (one goni frag is suffering) ... I'm thinking it's the individual.

79F
8.4 alk
410 cal
1300 mag
8.1 ph

Last edited:

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Do you know par of where its at? Just by the coloring I think its too much light. I would move it to a place with reduced light and feed it something meaty like rods food or something similar. I wouldnt feed it powdery foods like reef roids. If you feed it and it starts to mucus try to feed it something else. I have some euphillya that likes light and some that doesn't, sometimes they have to be acculimated to stronger light. I also have some that I just have to feed or they retract. That's what works for me when mine have issues

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the par is unfortunately. I don't think it's being blasted, but I'll move it back into the shade some more and spit some food at it. Appreciate the advice.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look bleached but also how’s your flow? They like moderate flow-not blasting and not still. Similar to wheat on a breezy day. Gently flowing in the breeze/current.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been in low flow the whole time. I learned that stunt with a hammer awhile back and almost lost it from too much uni-directional flow.

I just put it with the hammers thinking it would be a good spot but something irritated it and it's been declining. I'll try feeding, I haven't done that since I had read they struggle to eat when sickly.

What will it look like with too little light?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting? They only need 50 or 100 par I've been told.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x Kessil 360we 10" off surface for WB170.4/5

12hrs peak 85% for one hour, avg 30% color.

I've got a ricordia and Duncan about mid tank, and the frogspawn is on the sand below... Hard to believe it's too much.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be surprised! I have several frogspawns sitting at 75 par loving life. Added a hammer thinking it would do great... good flow, good light. Not so much!
It receded and bleached. Had to pull it and put it on the side of my frag tank, and it's getting only 40-50 par. Completely re-colored and extending polyps. Go figure!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is picky too. I also had a Ricordia as a freebie I didn’t want so I just put it anywhere. It ended up in 425 par and was really happy after I rearranged my lighting. Just make sure to leave it for a few weeks when you change something. You’ll find the sweet spot. They all can like slightly different things tho. Mine does like almost no flow and low light. Was my first coral and I so mishandled it and it thrived so maybe I was lucky. Mine now might just be happy I’ve stopped moving it lol.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I started staring at this more and it has some odd darker areas on the polyps this afternoon so rather than risk it, whatever it is, I've dropped it in the coral qt. Definitely not too much flow or light over there. An aquaknight, and I'll put the frag off in a corner. Probably moved around too much now, but I'll leave it until it does something good... Or dies!

It really is almost translucent now so bleaching does make the most sense.

I'll keep y'all posted.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back