frogspawn unhappy? (pics)

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

Ive had this beautiful orange frogspawn for about 3 months in my tank and its always looked full and inflated. Its always been in the same spot which is the top middle. I know frogspawns dont require this much light but I have my AI prime saxby settings dialed down. There has been no changes in flow or water chemistry.

So its never really been an issue until 4 days ago when I notice the polyps are not as inflated and appear skinnier, if that makes any sense. Seems like its deflated and sometimes it will retract in the afternoon then open up again. Its a new behavior and making me think there is an issue but I cant seem to figure it out. All my other euphylia are happy.

Things im suspecting-
1) too much or too little light? but its been 4 months and the green frogspawn next to it is fine in the same spot
2) vermitid snails, I know my tank has them as I smashed a few tubes but cant seem to find any on the skeleton
3) low suspicion for flatworms, never seen one. I rather not dip it
4) torch stings, there is a torch neaby but tentacles never reach. It has stung it before it the past but I moved it, even then the frogspawn never shrunk or was stressed
5) my green hammer is also acting funny and isnt as big, defintely adding to confusion..
no skeleton or loss of tissue for any corals

Evo 13.5 with Ai prime saxby settings (UV30, V36, RY 57, B52, G5, DR 5 ML0 CW 25)

Parameters-
sg 1.026
temp 77
alk 8.5 (stable, I autodose)
cal 450
mag 1450
nitrite- 0
nitrate 5
phos- 0.05
ammonia - 0

before when it was happy

IMG_1628.PNG

Current state--

IMG_1629.jpg

My tank last week-
IMG_1523.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Doesn’t seem bad. Assure it’s getting moderate flow and medium light. Too much light or flow will upset them
What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
924er

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t seem bad. Assure it’s getting moderate flow and medium light. Too much light or flow will upset them
What test kits are you using?

if you see it in person it looks alot worse, the frogspawn is 50% smaller and not as inflated as before. I use hanna checker for alk phos and ca. salifert for mag and nitrate, and API for nitrite, and ammonia. The coral also retracts around 5pm and opens up again slightly. it never did this in the 3 months Ive had it.

whats interesting is that I had another frogspawn from the same colony die the same way. it just kept shrinking and getting worse once I dipped it, next day it started losing tissue and jellied away. This time I dont want to dip it.

what does medium light mean? Im using an AI prime with many different settings. I assume the more light the less extended it will be since its over exposed. but its been 3 months and now its complaining so its confusing to me.. can the coral eventually get tired of too much light?

as far as flow, I have it set very minimal. I just use the return pump. When the circulation pump is on, its too overwhelming for my tank.

its just confusing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
if you see it in person it looks alot worse, the frogspawn is 50% smaller and not as inflated as before. I use hanna checker for alk phos and ca. salifert for mag and nitrate, and API for nitrite, and ammonia. The coral also retracts around 5pm and opens up again slightly. it never did this in the 3 months Ive had it.

whats interesting is that I had another frogspawn from the same colony die the same way. it just kept shrinking and getting worse once I dipped it, next day it started losing tissue and jellied away. This time I dont want to dip it.

what does medium light mean? Im using an AI prime with many different settings. I assume the more light the less extended it will be since its over exposed. but its been 3 months and now its complaining so its confusing to me.. can the coral eventually get tired of too much light?

as far as flow, I have it set very minimal. I just use the return pump. When the circulation pump is on, its too overwhelming for my tank.

its just confusing
Medium light means not too bright nor low
Prime
Blue 80
Uv 60
Purple 75
Whit 15
Red 5
Green 4

I suspect you may have higher nitrates than seen as API kits are known for false readings and your nitrates are higher than you see
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test and see what readings they come up with

OP
OP
924er

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medium light means not too bright nor low
Prime
Blue 80
Uv 60
Purple 75
Whit 15
Red 5
Green 4

I suspect you may have higher nitrates than seen as API kits are known for false readings and your nitrates are higher than you see
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test and see what readings they come up with

I am using salifert for testing nitrates. Its always stable around 5ppm, rarely 10ppm.

My previous AI settings were blue 70 uv 40 purple 76 white 33 and I turned them down 30% once this started happening. So its been getting medium light and like I said its been fine for 3 months prior to this. My torches and other frogspawns are fine. In fact, the green frogspawn is right next to it and seems to be unbothered. But I know every coral is different.

its just frustrating because this is the same trend I noticed last time I had issues with frogspawn and it eventually died after I dipped it in iodine and moved it to the sandbed.

Thanks for your help.. Ill have my water tested at an LFS today but im confident its fine. The only other thing I can suspect is contamination of some sort or vermitid snail webs bothering them or even living inside the skeleton.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 119 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back