From Darts to Reefs, a 120gal display saga

OkDartsnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thanks for reading this thread! First off, some sarcasm: I would like to thank my brother and sister in law for finding another hobby for me to throw money at and cry when I literally pour money down the drain after water changes. It hurts the soul just a bit. I have kept poison dart frogs for the past 7 years, and my wife has said no more frogs. So the obvious solution was to start a saltwater tank project :cool:. I watched the BRS 52 weeks of reefing, read multiple articles on this forum and -that other forum-, spoken with people I knew personally who have established saltwater tanks, and took a dive when I saw an incredible deal on Facebook marketplace. Some poor soul was getting rid of his setup due to no time at home from their job, and their BTA committed suicide by walking into his powerhead (ouch). As they say, one man's 'trash' is another man's treasure. Thats the story how I bought a 120 gal display, 75gal sump, stand, canopy, 130lbs of dry rock (was live before breakdown), two powerheads, skimmer, return pump, fragging accessories, fish food, coral food, various cleaning supplies, and two AI Hydra 26's for $600. Like I said, a steal. Fortunately for me, everything was functional with the exception of the skimmer.
yuk tank.jpg
sandedstand.jpg

After getting all of the equipment back to my house, the cleaning started. Lots of vinegar and water, some elbow grease, muriatic acid bath for the rock later, and repainting later, I went to my LFS and started my journey. Currently I am getting pre-mixed reefwater from my LFS, but I am looking into purchasing an RO/DI system to share with my brother and cousin (brother has a 75 gal, cousin does freshwater). My faucets on all of my sinks are super fancy and wont support the faucet adapter for the RO/DI buddy, so I'm going to need something in a permanent wall mount more than likely.
DTsumpStand.jpg

I cycled my tank with Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride and Turbostart 9000 May 14th, and within 8 days my tank went through the nitrificaiton cycle. I used live sand (Carribsea) and dry rock. Two weeks later (after ghost feeding and continuing to test NH3, NO2, NO3 for monitoring purposes) I picked up my CUC and a pair of clowns. I have two emerald crabs, 4 blue jointed hermits, 3 turbo snails, and 4 nassarius snails, an extreme Da Vinci clown (has his connecting dorsal stripe on the left side of his body) and a Black Storm Clown. The clowns are in QT and doing well, eating and no signs of external disease. They have been dewormed for internal parasites, I am doing the TTM for ich/velvet prevention, and will continue to monitor for 3 weeks after I finish the TTM (on day 7, using the protocol for ich/ velvet).
DT.jpg
blackstorm.jpg
extremeDaVinci.jpg
emerald crab.jpg

I have bought a Red Sea Reefer 300 skimmer, and will turn it on after fish are added. I also bought a GFO/Carbon reactor, as eventually I will want Lyretail Anthias and wrasses, which I've read have high energy/ food requirements, therefore will need help keeping Nitrates and Phos low. Next post will be about a potential fish list/ stocking list and what I am wanting out of this tank. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work out well - but try to not put money in the drain and start a reef aquarium - that´s insane :D:D:D That drain is like Niagara compared with all other things - nearly at least:D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
O

OkDartsnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work out well - but try to not put money in the drain and start a reef aquarium - that´s insane :D:D:D That drain is like Niagara compared with all other things - nearly at least:D

Sincerely Lasse
Ha! I'm quickly learning that! But at least its pretty?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoem and looks great so far.
Definitely find a water line to hook up a RO/DI unit. Maybe a washing machine or even under a sink.

OP
OP
O

OkDartsnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: We've hit the 2 month mark, diatoms bloomed and went away after 3-4 days, and some green algae has started to grow on some of the rock. It looks like someone spray painted green on the very top. My CuC seems to be handling the majority of what is growing on the glass and back wall.

I'm lighting my tank with two AI Hydra 26's, lights were off until after my diatom bloom but now they are turned on. Lighting schedule and settings below:

Tank Parameters
I've been going to my LFS to get my water tested (they test for free).
5/21
SG- 1.024
temp-79.3* F
Ammonia- 0.00
Nitrite- 0.0
Nitrate- 80 mgL
At this point I did a 20% water change. No livestock was introduced at this time
5/29
S.G.- 1.024
Temp- 78.7*F
Nitrate- 10 ppm
Phosphate- 0.25
Another 20% water change was done here, CuC and two clowns were added. I also started running my Skimmer at this time, as well as started setting up a GFO reactor because I knew I would probably overfeed my tank, being a new to the hobby.
6/4
S.G.- 1.024
Temp- 79.0*F
Nitrate- 10ppm
Phosphate- 0.10ppm
I continued to run my skimmer and GFO reactor, nothing new done to the tank other than weekly 20% water change.
6/16
S.G.- 1.024
Temp- 79.2
Nitrate- 15ppm
Phosp- 0.1
Mag- 1260ppm
Calc- 465ppm
Alk- 6.6
A diamond goby was added a few days prior to water test and I started feeding mysis and brine shrimp in addition to Dr. Bassleers pumpkin/ Forte/ Matrine pellets, which to me explains the higher nitrates ( again, probably feeding too heavily, but I wanted to make sure new additions were eating. A weekly 20% water change was done, and live tigre copepods were added to the DT on 6/16. Today (6/23) lots of juvenile pods were seen on the glass this morning during my cleaning/ maintenance of the tank. I was questioning if any had survived the goby when it was introduced, looks like I have my answer.
I also starting dosing the tank to help raise the Alk to ideal parameters. I'm dosing roughly 5mL daily into the sump with the hope to get it to the 7.1 range over a week's time. I'm going to the LFS today for testing, and will also probably talk about dosing for Mg today as well. Initially Mg was not as much of a concern since I don't have any corals stocked, but I think I'm going to start getting those parameters set up and stable for when I'm ready to start adding some coral.

AI Schedule.jpg

OP
OP
O

OkDartsnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoem and looks great so far.
Definitely find a water line to hook up a RO/DI unit. Maybe a washing machine or even under a sink.
Thank you! My employer is going to install an RO/DI unit (there's a 180gal reef tank in our lobby), and they are going to let me take the water that I need from there for free. Just have to pay for salt mix and a Brute trashcan =D

OP
OP
O

OkDartsnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some surprising results from the LFS today. My salinity had dropped to 1.022. I don't have any evidence of massive salt creep, I have a max and min water line marked in my sump for manual top offs (havn't caved into an ATO just yet). I've been topping off with RO/DI water. My brother has my refractometer so I havn't been able to check salinity levels at home like I normally do. So the plan is to do salt water top offs for about 5 gallons, then go back to RO/DI for top offs.
Alk didn't rise much, 6.7 so I'm going to increase daily dosing from 5mL to 10mL/day.
Calc is 480
Mg is 1250 and I'm going to start dosing 20mL/day starting today.
Nitrate went back down to 10 and Phosphates dropped to 0.03. I'm assuming that my systems bacterial colony has adapted to the addition of the diamond goby.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belated welcome to Reef2Reef! Awesome build, used tanks always make me nervous though o_O my original 220g was a used tank, and it ended up spewing about 180g of saltwater all over my basement floor. ;Dead Good to hear you've had good luck so far! I'll be following this build as it progresses.
Good luck and God bless!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back